• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fly Fisherman?

Luke

Welcome!

Here's my 2 cents. Check out the Northern Wisconsin/Iron River post below, it has some good information.

I was bitten by the Brule bug about three years ago, and am still learning as I go.

There was a guy who worked at Burger Brothers in Bloomington(Richfield?) his name was John (E®dstrom I believe)Steelhead are his passion. Last I heard he was guiding, I remeber seeing an ad for him in a copy of Midwest Fly Fishing (has some articles re fishing Superior and Michigan tributaries.) John has a wealth of knowledge and is very approchable.

The Brule has an excellent State campground and Brule River Classic is a must stop.

Hope this info helps. Hope to meet you on the water!

Addicted

thank you...

I will be planning some trips here now smile.gif this web site has pointed me out some good direction, as has Summit Fly Shop...

I'm off to tie some flies and then go and play pool so I can keep my arms in shape for casting...

any of you guys have web sites with some pictures of fish????

My largest rainbow in the metro was just under 14 lbs from X-mas.

Rainbows (steelhead) do fight but browns are the toughest of the trout species in my opinion. The Root river near Lanesboro can be a great brown fishery. In the right stretch's of the river fish up to 10 lbs are not unheard of.

If you are lucky enough to hit the kings on the north shore they average from 15-25 lbs .. not exactly big but can still run 100 yards of line off the reel at the mouths.

Have you considered fishing different species with your fly rod? Bass and Northerns can be alot of fun.

Your never going to find any water here that will even closely compare to Alaska. Our Salmon run is close to gone (besides pinks) .. a few fish still get pulled from the north-most rivers on the north shore in the fall. Spring Kamloops (different strain of rainbow) can be fair action in the early spring all along the north shore tributaries.

Christmas lake near Excelsior can be excellent trout fishing from opener into mid June. I have never tried to fly fish it but the trout are very close to the surface that time of year and are in large schools.

There are good salmon runs off lake Michigan and some steelhead. For truly good steelhead fishing I would plan a trip to PA in a month or so. When the steelhead come in catches of up to 20/day are common. But its no secret .. lots of fisherman.

Thank you very much...

I am fully aware of how spoiled I have been and dont expect Alaskan quality fishing, BUT, I DO NEED TO BE ABLE TO CATCH SOME BOWS smile.gif

I will for sure check those out.... I am gonna hit the Brule I think next week just to get a feel for it.... I hear Oct. is a grat time to slam some trophy classers...

I have done a lot of pike and bass fishing as well, but my main passion is big rainbows on the fly....

notherns are fun.... muskies are fun.... bass are fun.... but nothing in my opinion compares to a large trout or salmon.... or even close to a steelie wink.gif as I'm sure most of you know smile.gif

Do a lot of you guys meet up on the rivers?

LUKE,
Right now the lake run browns are now in the river but kings and cohos are still staged off the mouth of the brule in the lake .Some cold nights and some cold rains will probably turn them on to make the run up Anotherplace to try for salmon is pikes creek in bayfield that usually has a very good run of salmon and some steelhead. I havent heard of any steelhead running up the brule yet

GOOD LUCK
JAR JAR

I talked to a buddy of mine and he was off Pikes in a boat on Sat. & Sun. They didn't get any kings but they did o.k. on cohos. they said that the kings are still out in the lake but not hitting anything yet. I'd say less than a week or two they should run

GOOD LUCK
JAR JAR

Great....

we are gonna go up to the Brule this weekend.... have a relaxing time, check out the water... and prepare to slam some fish....

do you have to worry about bears up there?

wink.gif

darn.

fishing next to bears is exciting.

you catch a fish... watch the bear come over... he takes it from you.

kind of like my old dog.... only, bigger.... much bigger.