• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Night time Browns?

Renneberg

Has anyone ever fished for browns at night? I'm heading up to the Straight river and I'm going to give night time fishing a try, so any tips for fishing at night will be helpfull. I don't know yet if I'm going to be fly fishing or using spining gear yet, mainly because I don't know if the Hex. hatch is still going.
Once again any tips about fishing at night for browns will be very helpfull.

Thanks

Rennenburg,

I have only tried it a couple times on a stream! It can be a great opportunity for a trophy fish, using the darkness as camo.
However, it can be just as frustrating.

If you know the water your fishing, key in on your favorite stretch of river/stream where the largest population of fish are or tend to be. Then hold tight, fishing the same stretch most of the night.

I haven't fished with bait in a while, but that might be a good night technique, drifting a fat/juicy crawler!!? LEss casting involved!

Good Luck and definitely let us know how you did and what you discovered!

Jim W

Thanks for the help Jim W.

I've fish one strech of this river quite a bit last year and I seen several big browns follow my lure out. Even watched one about 19 inches swim with the lure for about 50 feet!

I would fish with a nightcralwer but there are walleyes and big chubs up to 8 inches in this strech of river.

The great thing about this river is its wide enofe that its hard to make a cass that will make it to the other side, so I just have to watch out for trees in the water. I hope.

The only thing that scares me is that I may catch the biggest brown I've ever seen and have no one to take my pic. Which has already happened to me twice this year.

I'll keep you posted on how I do. This won't be the last time I'm going fishing at night for big browns.

Tried fishing at night a few times but being uncoordinated as I am it usually turns out to be an exercise in frustration.
You may wish to consult the fishing regulations as...

Stream Trout Regulations
• Fishing hours for stream trout on inland waters are from one hour
before sunrise to 11 p.m.

Doesn't give a fisherman a whole lot of nighttime fishing opportunities this time of year.

Good Luck

Bogsucker

The regulation applies to streams also, excluding Lake Superior Tribs.

Copied from the 2002 regulations

The following regulations apply only to stream trout (splake and
brook, brown, and rainbow trout) in inland lakes and streams. They
do not include lake trout, which are listed under Inland Waters, page 14.
And they do not cover Lake Superior tributaries, listed on page 18.
Calendar dates refer to 2002 unless noted otherwise...
...Stream Trout Regulations
• Fishing hours for stream trout on inland waters are from one hour
before sunrise to 11 p.m.
• Only one line is allowed winter or summer when fishing on designated
stream trout lakes (listed in the DNR’s “Guide to Lakes
Managed for Stream Trout”) and designated trout streams.
• Possessing live minnows, not including leeches, or using them for bait
on designated stream trout lakes is prohibited.
• Angling in designated trout waters during the closed trout season is
prohibited.
• Taking minnows or leeches from designated trout waters, except
under special permit, is prohibited.
• All stream trout must have head, tail, fins, and skin intact when being
transported.
• Rough fish may not be taken by spear, harpoon, archery, or dip net in
designated trout lakes or streams.

[This message has been edited by Bogsucker (edited 06-25-2002).]

I had a great time fishing at night for HUGE browns. I only caught two browns, but they were 24 and 27 inches!
I started fishing with dries, hoping to run into the hex hatch. But as I watched the chubs and shinners follow my fly I seen a huge brown come crusing in and chase them. It did show any intrest in my fly. I quickly changed to one of my tarpon flies. After about 10 minutes with no luck I moved on. The very next hole is where I caught the 24 incher. She but up one heck of a fight. After taking the hook out I took a quick look and let her go. I caught her at 9:47.
After that hole there is a long flat about a 150 feet long, two feet deep and all weeds. After I figured out it was all weeds I changed to my weedless tarpon fly. After fishing about 60 feet of the flat I suddenly heard a huge boil in the river. A another huge brown had just missed my fly. I quickly casted back. She didn't miss it the second time. After what seemed like forever I netted a huge ball of weeds. As I was cleaning all the weeds off I was shocked to see how big she was. shocked.gif She was huge, 27 inches! That was the biggest brown I've ever caught. Once again I took a good look and let her go.
By this time it was pass 10:30 and time for me to head in. What a night. I can't wait to night fish again.

P.S. Jim W you should of warned me of all the animals in the woods. I had a deer jump about 10 feet right behind me and I almost had a massive heart attack and floated down stream. I counted 5 deer that scared that night.

Rennenburg,

WOW!
Those are nice stream browns anywhere in the world!!!! Any photos?
NIce job!

PS> One of the reasons I don't fish at night
is it gets a little too creepy out there!!LOL

Jim W

Once again I had no camera to take pics. This seems to be the trick to catching big browns. No camera, big browns. The strech of river that I was fishing was all boggy on both sides, and I don't think I could of found a place to put her on and taken a pic anyways. This fall I'm heading back to that river and I'll bring someone to take pics.

Renneberg,
You should try fishing the Brule river up by "Big lake" at night after 10 p.m. with ajitter bug or a small torpedo in late augustor early sept . It is a blast when u hook a 5-6 pounder in pitch black darkness in waist deep water

Fished the Straight friday night. Didn't catch one trout. Fished from 7 to 9pm. The weather man said a storm was on the way, but it didn't rain anywhere near where I was fishing.

Saturday I went to the Kabekona river and fished for Brook trout. Caught several brookies. The biggest was 13 1/2 inches.