• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

single console to a double console?

Hoffer

I have a 1650 fishhawk. Its a single console. I have thrown some thoughts around to converting it to a double console. Anyone converted their single to a double?? approximately how much did it take?? If so, is having an extra console and wind protection for passengers worth the space that you lose?

any tips or comments appreciated :-)

I have the 1650 Sport Angler, and I love the double console with the windshield. especially if the weather is not the greatest, and you are driving across the lake with some larger waves. We stay dry, and have lots of storage at our reach. Plus, I get the wife and son on the lake more at times when she wouldn't normally be willing to go because she is protected more.

It would take a decent amount of work, but talk to a Crestliner dealer and check out what the console itself goes for. The base you could build and carpet on your own which would save you some bucks.

Our 1850 Fishhawk was only a single console when we bought it and paid a little extra to have the extra one installed. It wasn't too much. I think we ended up paying under $500 for it installed with the boat. It may have been a little cheaper because that's what sold the boat for us, but the dealer might charge a little more to add it because there isn't as much to gain for them. It is definitely worth it if you fish with two people often. It also adds a nice storage compartment because the inside of the console is hollowed out and a super spot for extra sweatshirts, coats, etc because they won't blow out. What boat doesn't need more storage?

Thanks guys for the input...it doesnt sound like either one of you were concerned by the loss of "deck space"....however with an 1850 you had a lot already! I may check it out. My friend has the 1750 with the dual console and he likes it - but at times I also like my single console because it does open the boat up a bit more...

thanks for the thoughts and replies.

Hoffer

I have a crestliner that was coverted from a single to a walk through before I picked it up used. No doubt you'll lose floor space but you'll gain a lot of comfort. Really made a difference to duck behind the windshield for a little bit this weekend on Mille Lacs

I don't have a crestliner, but I do have a full windshield walk-thru. I had no interest in a full windshield, because I didn't want to lose the space, but my wife made it a stipulation in buying a boat. Now that I have it and have used it in cold windy conditions I don't think I will own another boat without it. My buddy has 2 boats an Alumacraft and Warrior BOTH are single console and suck for the passenger (typically me) in the cold and wind, to be honest it isn't even that comfortable when it's nice out.

Think of your passenger/best fishing buddy they will thank you for it.

RU

I just finished taking a 17 foot proguide lund single console and adding a second console and a walk through windshield.

I looked around for premade ones and they were a fortune. I built them and used the same carpet and they turned out great. I will post some pics sometime tomorrow.

My friend has a lund Mr.Pike 17 footer, and was contemplating adding a second console. He fished this weekend in the cold drifing up on Whinnie and Leech. After that he said no way was he going to add a second console. He liked having the extra space on the port side of the boat. (You though I was going to say he went right out and bought a second console didn't you). grin

I built a passenger console for my 2000 1750. Bought a factory windshield and fabricated the rest with marine plywood and marine vinyl. Looks pretty good. Cost almost $300 - and it's removable.

Thanks for the replies guys.

My issue is that I have no skilld. I could maybe pound some carpet to some plywood - but that is about it. I would have to bring it in - and if I did so - I would want it to be "factory" anyway - just for resale etc...

I think if I had the 1750 which is a little bigger - I might really go for it - but just trying to weigh losing the space. It would be nice for those longer trips in colder weather etc...

i think i will call a boat dealership and get a price - and that will probably make my decision for me...whether or not its "affordable".