• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First attempt at fly/jig tying

So I picked up some materials and tools really cheap for fly/jig tying and figured I would give it a shot. At the price I paid, I would be stupid not to try it out. Here are a couple panfish flies and jigs I tied up. Not following any patterns or anything, but I might start a few true pattern flies to practice soon.

Olive Pond Mohair on a #14 hook.

3466860394_30ace33e03.jpg

Rooster Neck Feather on a #14 hook.

3466044765_81dff9d368.jpg

Brass bead/Rooster neck feather and Copper yarn on #8.

3466860374_0be790ea2c.jpg

Pink hackle black thread on 1/32 unpainted head.

3466860348_e3e789d14f.jpg

Pink 1/32 Darter with white flash and white thread.

3466044579_2b22b972b9.jpg

Purple 1/32 Darter with white wool and purple flashabou

3466044563_0bbdeaf10e.jpg

My favorite so far - Pink 1/32 jig with white/pink fade rabbit hair and pink hackle feather.

3466044625_2f582a918a.jpg

These are just some out of the first 15 or so that I tied up. Lots of stuff to play with and tweak yet, but for just getting started I am pretty pleased with the results. Let me know what you think.

Yeah, I got a smokin deal on the vice. I paid less than 10 dollars for it which was awesome. I got a dining room table worth of materials and tools for 45 bucks. Normal prices I would have got the vice for that. I am looking forward to many more jigs and flies. I plan to do some patterned flies in the next couple days.

With how cheap the vice was, I was halfway expecting to be disappointed. Not so, that Griffin 2A is a pretty decent little jobby. Has held everything I put in it so far with ease.

I am no expert, but they look good to me. I have been thinking of getting a fly tying vise for the same reasons, to tie a few flies and jigs, but I have not had time to get do much rod building lately so it would probably just collect dust.

Thanks for the pic Hydro. It looks like one I might be able to do. I do not yet have a fly rod but I am looking into getting one. My uncle said he has an old one he will let me have. Right now I was considering using them on a standard spinning outfit on a split shot rig to get it out a ways and also help get it to the depth I would like. Just another thing to tinker with, but I am excited to be able to create custom works for myself along with friends and family.

My dad and uncle already are requesting I tie up some teaser tail trebles for their rapalas. The want something similar to what is on the x-raps. Should be easy enough to do.

You won't regret getting a fly rod. Doesn't take long to get used to casting a fly rod. It's more of an art form than anything, start with short casts and gradually work out more line and you'll have it. You'll get a lot more action with the fly rod as you can give them a really subtle twitch. A spinning rod would probably give either no action or too much action.