• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ski Fish I/O motor for fishing

Larson15

I have always had boats with outboards and I recently bought a fiberglass ski fish with a 4.3 volvo I/O. I plan on fishing a lot out of this boat, mostly bass fishing. Is there anything I should be aware of or have any tips with this setup?

Sounds like a nice boat. Get out and use it, getting to know how to control it with the trolling motor. Learn the menu on the X52. You may want to get a drift sock to help with control. Get 2 good batteries for the trolling motor.

Think of it like a bass boat type of control with everything done from the front "office" At slow speeds boat control is better than backtrolling with a tiller outboard. It's kind of nice once you get used to it.

This is the link to what I will be picking up this Saturday.

Larson 180sf

http://larsonboats.com/180series/180skifish/

I think that I will like it once I get used to it.

It already come with the 2 batteries for the trolling motor so I'm good there. I definitely have to get used to the new trolling motor. Does anyone use the wireless co-pilot? This is a feature that comes with the boat and have never used one.

I want to add rod savers as well just have to figure out which ones to get and how/where to mount them.

I was also wondering if it is possible to troll at low speeds for walleye on occasion.

Hydro, I have never used a drift sock before, I know they are good for boat control and Im guessing they could help out with trolling as well.

Nice boat Paul!

To your question about trolling for walleyes, with that trolling motor you will be in the zone for trolling speeds. Once you learn the Co-Pilot control your accuracy will be very good for following structure. I made the switch from a tiller boat to a front trolling motor platform a couple of years ago and I like my current setup much better.

Nice boat! The co-pilot works very well... and has been discussed at great length in this forum, as well as the equipment forum, but is a very nice accessory to have.

It will be possible to troll for walleyes... as hydro said, get used to your trolling motor, and if you're going too fast, invest in a drift sock, that will help slow you down.

marine_man

Hey Paul,

Nice boat -- I have the same one, just a few years older. It's great for a multi-purpose boat. The family loves to go for a ride, and with a 3 1/2 and a 2 yr old, it works great for that. When I'm alone, it's easy to fully convert it to a fishing boat. My only complaint is I'd like a longer shaft on the trolling motor...in a strong chop, the blades come out of the water every now and then. Boat is very stable and dry, and I'm a big fan of the bunk style trailer. Winterizing is a piece of cake as well (I spent a couple hundred each year until I learned)...

The Volvo 4.3 is a great motor...quiet, yet plenty of giddyup..

You'll enjoy it -- Congrats!