• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod Components

Craigums

I've decided to purchase a new rod this spring, a 7'2'' MH as a jig rod. But, while comparing my searches I am confused about components of the rods and what I should be looking for.

IM-8, IM-10 High Modulus, High-modulus/high-strain SCIV graphite, Fuji components, guides ect... What should I be looking for?

As a 2nd question can someone describe the "action" of the rod I think I should be looking for Fast or XFast for what I plan on using this rod for. but some clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys

~Craig P.

Fuji makes some really nice components for rods, and like many things in fishing, you get what you pay for. I also really like the recoil rod guides, although I don't own any yet. The reel seat is what ever you feel is the most comfortable. Generally high modulus rods are lighter and more stiff without becoming brittle, again you get what you pay for, but if you like the way it feels, go for it!

As far as action goes, it is reffering to the taper of the rod. Fast action rods slim down to the tip in a shorter distance than mod action rods. Xfast actions seem to have more tip sensitivity than a fast action, but the fast action rod is the most commonly used for most techniques and the most popular rod.

The first thing you should know is there is no industry standard for IM6, IM7and IM8. Rather, it’s a “range” that manufacturers use to classify their rods according to the “modulus” content. Modulus is a term that describes the stiffness to weight ratio of the graphite that’s used to create the rod blank. Here’s how it works….when you cast a lure, the rod flexes with the weight of the lure, storing energy as it flexes. When the motion of the rod stops, the rod flexes and releases all of its stored energy to propel the lure. When you increase the modulus of the graphite, you increase the ability of that graphite to store and release energy. You also increase the speed that the rod releases the stored energy. That in turn, increases the lure speed that is generated in the cast. Increase the modulus and you increase the reaction speed and power of the rod blank.

Fuji makes great components and you can assume any rod over $100 has good enough components on it, that you should not worry.

The "power" of a rod refers to how much pressure it takes to flex the rod. Different rod powers are engineered to efficiently handle a certain range of lure weights and line sizes. To select a rod power that will perform best for you, simply narrow your choices to rods designed to cast the weight of lures — and sizes of lines — you’ll fish with most often. It’s that simple.

The "action" of a rod is determined by where a rod flexes along the blank. Faster action rods flex mostly near the tip. Moderate action rods flex more near the middle of the blank. Slower action rods flex down into the butt section.

Cecil explained it very well.. In Higher mod graphite rods, the walls of the rod are thinner and thus lighter, lighter usually equates to mores sensitive. Usually.

In the action, a faster action rod will bend the most at the tip section, while a slower action rod will bend more evenly along the entire lenght of rod.

For jigs, I like fast, maybe even extra fast.

In my opinion Fuji makes some of the best components, but even within thier line of products they have different qualities.. For them its all about weight and strength. THe most expensive are the strongest and lightest and also have an ability to get rid of heat quickly, which allows for longer casts.

Hope this helps.