Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JP Z

What is a good rule of thumb for inflating atv tires for plowing?

7 posts in this topic

I'd say for example, if the tires are rated for 7-10 PSI, I would run them around 4-6 PSI. A flatter profile will help give you a little more traction.

The exception to the above is if you're running chains, then run the manufacturers recommended PSI rating if not a little more to ensure the chains remain tight. Loose chains will go bad in a hurry and will damage the machine.

Radial tires already have as good of a contact patch as you're going to get, so for those I would run the recommended PSI level.

I would run them at the lower end of the recommended psi, but check the front tires with the plow lifted up because it will squat the front tires and you don't want them to run too low with the weight of the plow and added snow.

Thanks!!! And now to be more confused.....I'll have to figure this doggy out.

I've been running at the top end of the scale because I would occasionally get flats in the winter when the wheeler sat for a long time. Higher pressure seems to have fixed that problem.

I run mine up around 10 psi to compensate for the weight of the plow on the front end