• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sattelite tv

glojig

Question

8 answers to this question

What receiver model is it? Certain receivers are compatable with certain LNBs. Also, if it is a dual tuner receiver, and you have it hooked up to your phone line at home, I would disconnect it and call DN and tell them to put the phone line bypass on your account to avoid problems. It will cost an addition $5/month to not have it hooked up to a phone line, but if it is hooked up and then you disconnect it, you could have your receivers shut down due to a multiple address investigation. They are starting to crack down on people running multiple receivers at different addresses and having only one account.

Anyway, get a Dish 500 with a DPP twin LNB and you shouldn't have any compatability issues. Make sure the mast is level, set the elevation about 34 and the skew at 110. Point the dish at 202 degrees (SW, more South than West). Run RG6 coax cable from the far left port on the LNB to the receiver and you should be good to go. FYI, the dish settings are pretty uniform for the whole state of MN. Turn the receiver on, press menu 6-1-1 and do a check switch to confirm your installation is correct. You should have satellites 119 and 110 ALL. If not, go to the signal strength screen and try to peak out Sat 119 transponder 11 to the highest level. Any other questions, let me know.

the receiver model is a dp301 does that matter and as far as the phone line, when i had dn hook me up i informed them that one of the receivers was going to be for a rv so they gave me a third receiver at a $5 dollar a month extra charge so i think as far as the phone line goes I think I'm good. one more thing the dish I am planning on hooking up to is a dish500,dish300,three single-output dishpro LNBFs, one dp34, for four dishpro receivers will that work? thanks for the reply lakedocktor!!

I have dish network in my fish house and it works great. I usually have it in the garage and when I am going to spend a overnight on the lake I just take it with. I do have an extra dish so I dont have to crawl up on the garage to get it. The only thing that is a pain is getting the signal. Sometimes I get lucky and it only takes a minute and sometimes I have to play with it for awhile to get a good signal. Just postion your tv so you can see it through the window. Nothing like watching the outdoor channel in the shanty or better yet making your kid happy when the fish arn't biting.

Couple tips.

Mount the dish on some sort of portable stand. We use a concrete block. Have seen some mounted directly to the house. Limits your sight window if you have to position the house at a different angle due to wind. You could mount it above the house but that makes it hard to tune in.

Make sure there is an operating window next to where you are going to set the dish. That way you can hear the test screen. 2 person method works but tends to flare tempers in the process.

Put an external coax fitting on the house and quick connect end on the dish cable. Anything to speed up the process is good. Remember, it's going to be cold and windy out there.

Be patient, especially with Dish. Not near as easy to tune in as Directv. I have set up by friends with Dish and there is no comparison.

glojig. what do you need two dishes for? do you have international or religious channels? What I would do is just get a DPP Twin LNB for that dish 500 and eliminate all of the other components. All of the equipment is backwards compatible. For instance, you can use Dish Pro Plus on DPP, DishPro and Legacy equip., but you can't use a DPP receiver (dual tuner) on a DishPro or Legacy LNB unless you have a DPP44 powered switch. You have way too much stuff for what you are trying to accomplish. With the two dishes, the three lnbs and the 34 switch, you are just asking for a problem to happen. The less equipment you use, the better your chances are for nothing to go out on you. Do you have the 301 hooked up right now? If you don't, I would hook it up and make sure everything is active and software is downloaded. There is nothing worse than getting on the lake and not having cell service to have to call into DN customer service for help! Anything else, let me know. I would also pick up some kind of signal meter. I have a bunch of stuff laying around. If you or anyone needs anything, let me know.