• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TB in area 101

I just read the DNR is opening up another season in area 101 in NW MN because of TB. If memory serves me right, didn't that happen to another area close to there last year? Are the deer contracting this disease because the densities are too high or what's the problem?

Yes they are opening the season the same as they did last year. Area 101 "is the TB Zone"....the season runs 12/27-1/11 and you can use any unused deer tags from anywhere in the state for any season...but....if you have only a archery lisc. you must hunt with archery...only a muzzy license, you must use a muzzy...etc....You can buy as many additonal bonus permits as you want for $2.50 each...there's no limit...All deer have to be presented for registration and testing at designated sites in or adjacent to zone 101...This is just an ongoing "precautionary" measure to erradicate TB...of the deer tested this fall in this area and surrounding areas none have so far tested presumtive positive for TB...there was however a cow from this area that was detected to be positive when it was shipped for slaughter this fall....when the extended hunt is done they'll take an arial survey and see if they need to bring in the sharpshooters and extend the hunting for area residents again like they did last year...

Sometimes I wonder, why don't they just let the hunters thin them out during season and have fewer registration places and check them when the hunters bring them in, I don't see the pluses of slaughtering them and finding no TB. Let the hunters get them and then check them, we wouldn't have to pay there salary for culling deer. Just a thought that maybe is way off.

Yes they are opening the season the same as they did last year. Area 101 "is the TB Zone"....the season runs 12/27-1/11 and you can use any unused deer tags from anywhere in the state for any season...but....if you have only a archery lisc. you must hunt with archery...only a muzzy license, you must use a muzzy...etc....You can buy as many additonal bonus permits as you want for $2.50 each...there's no limit...All deer have to be presented for registration and testing at designated sites in or adjacent to zone 101...This is just an ongoing "precautionary" measure to erradicate TB...of the deer tested this fall in this area and surrounding areas none have so far tested presumtive positive for TB...there was however a cow from this area that was detected to be positive when it was shipped for slaughter this fall....when the extended hunt is done they'll take an arial survey and see if they need to bring in the sharpshooters and extend the hunting for area residents again like they did last year...

Gotta show my dumb side: so if I understand this, I have an unused rifle tag, I could then hunt in zone 101 during the season and be legal?