Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BeezeHound

TB in area 101

7 posts in this topic

I just read the DNR is opening up another season in area 101 in NW MN because of TB. If memory serves me right, didn't that happen to another area close to there last year? Are the deer contracting this disease because the densities are too high or what's the problem?

Yes they are opening the season the same as they did last year. Area 101 "is the TB Zone"....the season runs 12/27-1/11 and you can use any unused deer tags from anywhere in the state for any season...but....if you have only a archery lisc. you must hunt with archery...only a muzzy license, you must use a muzzy...etc....You can buy as many additonal bonus permits as you want for $2.50 each...there's no limit...All deer have to be presented for registration and testing at designated sites in or adjacent to zone 101...This is just an ongoing "precautionary" measure to erradicate TB...of the deer tested this fall in this area and surrounding areas none have so far tested presumtive positive for TB...there was however a cow from this area that was detected to be positive when it was shipped for slaughter this fall....when the extended hunt is done they'll take an arial survey and see if they need to bring in the sharpshooters and extend the hunting for area residents again like they did last year...

Sometimes I wonder, why don't they just let the hunters thin them out during season and have fewer registration places and check them when the hunters bring them in, I don't see the pluses of slaughtering them and finding no TB. Let the hunters get them and then check them, we wouldn't have to pay there salary for culling deer. Just a thought that maybe is way off.

Yes they are opening the season the same as they did last year. Area 101 "is the TB Zone"....the season runs 12/27-1/11 and you can use any unused deer tags from anywhere in the state for any season...but....if you have only a archery lisc. you must hunt with archery...only a muzzy license, you must use a muzzy...etc....You can buy as many additonal bonus permits as you want for $2.50 each...there's no limit...All deer have to be presented for registration and testing at designated sites in or adjacent to zone 101...This is just an ongoing "precautionary" measure to erradicate TB...of the deer tested this fall in this area and surrounding areas none have so far tested presumtive positive for TB...there was however a cow from this area that was detected to be positive when it was shipped for slaughter this fall....when the extended hunt is done they'll take an arial survey and see if they need to bring in the sharpshooters and extend the hunting for area residents again like they did last year...

Gotta show my dumb side: so if I understand this, I have an unused rifle tag, I could then hunt in zone 101 during the season and be legal?

Ya you could, but don't bother. There are not many deer left around there. I know landowners that have to go elsewhere to hunt because there aren't any deer.

Musky buck,

There's a ton of them come here. That place smells really good some days... It's about 2 miles North of my work.

Where are you sending those sick ones from?