• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reel Weeds and Teaser Leaders by LaDredge

beef

I have been using these products since they came out on the market. I have seen these "weeds" do some crazy things, but this week the new teaser leaders in 8 pound mono with the shorter skirts were HOT!!!!! I had a Buckshot rattle spoon on my jiggin rod and on my deadstick I was using the teaser leader with a an eye dropper below it tipped with a medium size shinner and I had 5 of the reel weeds put in a circle around the portable. I had the 825c camera down and was able to see all the action. Walleye's, Northern's, Crappie's, and perch we all coming into the teaser leader. The shiner was swimming enough to make the skirts look like bait fish moving. As most of the fish were attracted to the action of the skirts they would come into the reel weed spread and start from the top of the teaser leader and work there way down to the hook of death. It was awesome to watch and a very productive set-up. I hope this is a sign for the rest of the hard water season!!!!! I even had a muskie come cruzing through the set-up and check out all the hype under the ice...

Beef

I couldn't agree more about the Teaser Leaders. I bought one of the mono ones called Plasmic Pink. The entire skirt glows on this and the crappies just hammered it. I used it on my deadstick and there were times when I would be lowering it back down after catching a fish and there would be another slabby on before it even got down to the bottom. It was really cool watching this on the camera, especially after the sun went down and you could still see the glowing skirts. Thumbs up on this one!

We are going to a lake in March (tip ups) that has little to no weed cover at all. I'm excited about using our Reel Weeds for the first time in a lake that is barren. Thinking about getting another pack of 5 or a few teasers.

Has anyone just put one weed down next to a tip up...instead of making an entire weed bed around your tip ups? Just wondering about the effectiveness of one weed....because essentially that's what the teaser is right?

I think you'd be asking for trouble with possible tangle-ups if you put a Structure on a String next to a tip-up. I would think the Teaser Leader basically turns your fishing line (leader) into an attracting devise to get the attention of the fish. If you use a Predator Teaser Leader for walleye put a foot or so of mono or flourocarbon for a snell.

When Tip-Up Fishing I use the Teaser Leader on the Tip-Ups and on lakes with no weed growth or lacking structure- I take the 5 pack and put them in a small diamond design. I like to keep the weeds somewhat close together. The reason is pannies and perch will hold inside the small diameter of the diamond, walleyes and pike will cruise the edge of the weed line. I like to set the tip-ups about 5 feet from the Reel Weed's on the points of the diamond. MOST of the time the Northerns/Walleyes will run away from the weeds until you set the hook. Then there is no telling where the fish will go.

As for locations of the mono teaser leaders, check out there HSOforum, they have locations listed with phone numbers and websites. Here is a link since they are a sponsor of HSO... http://www.reelweeds.com/Storesbystate/Minnesotastorelocations/tabid/153/Default.aspx

Good Luck,

Beef

Last weekend we used both teaser leaders and regular setups for our tip-ups. The teaser leaders way out performed our standard tipup setup. In general northern pike are very curious fish w/ any change in the water column they need to check it out and this is were the teaser leader comes in, it draws those fish in and then they see the big minnow below. They worked great for us and plan to keep using them all season. Anything to increase my odds at catching fish, Sign me up!

Thanks for listing a link. However, I called many of the local stores listed - for example basspro in fridley - and they hadnt heard of them...I ws able to find one last one at Thorne brothers- they said they would probably get some more in on Monday...for now if anyone would mind listing a local store (metro area)where they have found them it would be appreciated - I will do the same if I come accross some luck.

I was just thinking to myself, you could actually make these yourself! Now...the reel weeds...I wouldn't attempt because I don't want to contaminate lakes with something I've rigged to simulate a weed. But these teasers....look like spinnerbait skirts. How do you hold them in place? Just a simply string bobber stop?

Here is a list of a few of stores that carry the Teaser Leaders, please check with stores for availability as they have been selling out.

Red Rock - Ely ONLINE both Mono and Predator Series

Cabelas - ON LINE - Rogers..and others Predator Series only

Dakota Angler, Sioux Falls ON LINE - Predator Series only

Thorne Bros in Fridley

Reeds Sporting Goods - Onamia and Walker

Daniels Ace Hardware - Winona

A Lure n Bait - Bemidji

Pete's Conoco - Menahga

B&B Sporting Goods - Fairbault

Ken's Supermarket - Aberdeen, SD

Town and Country - Morris

Mort's Tackle - Baudette

Prince Baits - Milaca

Marine General - Duluth

Bobber Shop - Mankato

Scheels - Soiux Falls, SD

Please check with your local stores as this is only a short list of stores that carry the Teaser Leaders. Not all stores carry all types.