Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tipup

Looking for advice!!

9 posts in this topic

Ok so for the last few years I have been thinking about doing some spearing. I have a portable FH that should work for now since I dont know if I will like it or not. The question is, for a guy like me who wants to try it, can I get buy with buying a spear from like Mills, Cabelas, Gander ect.? And how about the decoy, should I buy a few from the store or just go with live? Soory these may sound like elementry questions but I would like to try it a time or two before I spend a ton of $$$ on this. Thanks in advance for all the advice I know I will get from this wonderful forum!!!!

Tipup-

I speared for years with a $40 spear I got at the local gas station. It will absolutely work just fine for you and as far as decoys go, I used mainly a live sucker minnow with a $3 harness for years as well.

If you wanna mix it up I just bought a wooden decoy from the local baitshot for $15 because all of my decoys are up at the cabin.

The important thing is that you try it before you spend hundreds of dollars on something you are not sure you'll enjoy.

Have patience and if you are not seeing anything don't force yourself to stay out all day. For me it can get quite boring if I am not seeing anything. Heck, even a panfish will get you excited for a bit.

By the way, i am still using a crappy portable that works just fine. Is it the best out there? No, it isn't really even dark inside of it, but I've speared a bunch of fish out of it and even got a 15lber a few years ago. I even use a Clam flip-over once in a while, but I'll toss a couple blankets on it to help keep the sun out.

Get out, give it a try. To me spearing is more like hunting than fishing but be forwarned- it can be addicting and expensive! lol

good fishing-

michael

Tipup,

You can go with the sucker like mnarcher says or buy one decoy for starters. I've never used live bait but know it works pretty well.

One thing about spearing is it's pretty basic. Keep it simple. If you find out you like it, than buy more decoys, suckers etc.

I was fortunate that I inheritated my grandfathers spear. Very nice and is probably an antique (maybe not). My first spear was a cheap one and it got fish. I think some big ole stinky carp did it in though.

Dale

Don't worry Tipup there are no spearshack fashion police!!!

This is what mine looks like set up.....

There are so many holes in it I have to cover it with blankets. laugh

It works for me and no one wants to steal it!!!

3064113387_aa9571c66f.jpg

If you want to go cheap just get a small portable that works or use your existing one. I have better luck with live suckers as a decoy versus fake but I normally put one of each down the hole just tied to a cheap piece of tip up line. Any weighted spear should be fine unless you are throwing in 10 plus feet of water.

tip up

these guys hit it all

try 1 live decoy and you can also use in sted of fake decoys daredevils,rattelin raps.

most of all have paitence, it will pay off.

or you could come to the get to gator on maple lake december 20th

I have speared for over 50 years, the best decoy is a live sucker, next best a red and white plastic, then a plastic northern all about 9 or 10 ins long. I have over 50 decoys and always start with these.

which red and white plastic do you like? the sucker shaped one or a small pike shaped one?

I got a really small sucker shaped plastic decoy a few weeks ago. I'm excited to try it out tomorrow.