Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrklean

Wood or Plastic?

8 posts in this topic

I was looking at decoys yesterday and saw wood and plastic decoys, which is the better to use, i see far more wood then plastic but not sure which is better.

I like the plastic ones that fill with water,they seem to glide though the water rather than dart like the wooden ones

im with cat,

I have been a huge fan of Bear Creek Decoys. There a plastic decoy that ih ave had very awesome luck with. I dont carve at all, so wood ones are just not my style.

I also like the plastic ones that fill with water. They glide real nice and you can adjust the fins if you like.

I have had great luck with wooden decoys that i carve myself

how long does it take to make one? what type of wood do you use?

how long it each decoy will take all depends on how particular you are on how you want it to look. The wood that i like to use for carving decoys is pine because it is a soft wood and it is easy to sand and work with

how long it each decoy will take all depends on how particular you are on how you want it to look. The wood that i like to use for carving decoys is pine because it is a soft wood and it is easy to sand and work with

I agree, it all depends on how detailed you want to get. Anywhere from an hour to over ten hours for me.

I have been using basswood for the last five or six that I have carved. Before that I used cedar, pine, maple and even cherry.