• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

calling them in

Joe15

First I don't do a lot of blind calling, especially with the bow. I prefer to have the deer come in and not be looking for something, it makes it much easier to draw back. If the deer is walking away and you won't get a shot then I figure I might as well call to them.

Second I think too many people overcall. A whitetail can pinpoint a sound very quickly. So if that buck is standing out where you can't see him and you call I think they figure out it is a hunter and don't come in.

Third, sometimes deer just don't seem to want to respond to any call. I've seen bucks moving and I figure that a doe bleat/buck grunt and I'll have them and they just turn and walk away.

Great advice archerystud..

A large part of how well calling works is how desperate they are. If you are in an area that has a large doe to buck ratio, calling I have found is almost useless.. If your in an area that has a high buck to doe ratio, I have found it to be a little more successful. But like AS stated, its best to be in a good location and not call.

I was blind calling this weekend, and just what archery stud happened to me. The deer came in and was on me before I was ready with my bow, never made a good shot, the deer will live, but it was a learning experience. Right now, the grunt tube has been working for me. I try and alternate. Every 15 minutes I hit the grunt tube, every third hit with the grunt tube, I hit the can a few times also. It has been successful for me in the past.

You also have to consider location. I am usually calling field edges and I am trying to get the deer to come out of the woods a little closer, I also grunt when I see them, I have had a few come in to the grunt tube after I had a visual of them. It really depends on the situation, but I wouldn't be in the woods right now without an aresenal of calls.

When the deer are within a few days to a week of actually breeding, I like to use a doe call. Long drawn out bleats. 3-4 times, 15-20 minutes between. The CAN is ok, but I'd rather be able to control the volume and emphasis, trying to simulate a doe in heat. I get more small bucks come in to rattling, and grunting has never been very productive for me. Before the chase phase of the rut starts, I don't make a sound.