• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheel House Help

NAG

This year we re-did our axles and add suspension. When we got everything back together we do not have enough tongue weight. Only 155lbs and a fish house that weighs 3500lbs. The general rule is to have 10% tongue weight to prevent swaying at high speeds. Any ideas on how we can add some tongue weight without adding a bunch of weight to the whole house or moving the axle back a little bit? We moved the bunk up to the front and that helped. Weight of batteries and equipment should help as well. I have attached photos. Or should I put a for sale sign on it and start over?

>

DSC02621.jpg

DSC02623.jpg

DSC02620.jpg

I bought a brand new house and it has about zero tongue weight! I just put the heavy stuff (water, beer, batteries, food, auger, ect) in the front of the house when traveling. It is nice it is not so tongue heavy when i hook it to my ATV for the early ice LOTW trip we take.

We had it on the road with 155lbs of tongue weight and it started swaying pretty bad at 55mph. We added about 240lbs of retaining wall block to the front of the house to test it again and that helped a ton. We have 2-30lb propane tanks in the front right now and we will have 2 batteries and an auger which should help. I am not sure if changing the tongue length does anything. Does any one know?

I don't see any benefit to lengthening the toungue unless its long enough to weigh 200lbs. more than the existing one. To make a difference you would really have to stretch it out, looking at the photo, it appears the axle is mounted pretty close to center. Two hundred pounds is not that much to put in the house when compared to selling it and starting over. The batteries will help at 60lbs or so each, augers aren't that heavy but anything and everything will help. Or, move the axle back a foot- foot and a half.

Good luck