• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wood burning stove

Fazerfish

I've got a question maybe someone can answer for me.

I've got a gas furnace in my garage hanging from the ceiling, and use it all winter. I've been thinking about getting a wood burning stove to save on the gas and burn up some scrap wood that always seem to accumulate.

Do you think I could just pipe up the exhaust thru the existing exaust ductwork for the furnace? That ductwork tee's off into the furnace, and maybe I could punch out the bottom of the tee and connect it to a wood burning stove's exhaust.

Not sure if this would work or might I be asking for trouble?

Well old time wood stoves were installed without insulated pipe,It was at least 6 inch pipe and was solo (only woodstove)

I believe to be covered in insurance you'd be foolish to go that way,even with a proper insulated pipe,ceiling pass through joint,and roof vent,I'd have it inspected and question your insurance carrier before installation,If its covered for fire loss.

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks. I think I'll stick to burning scrap in the firepit in the backyard and be thankful for the gas furnace. Gas will be soo cheap by this winter anyways the way things are going smile

My shop had a wood burner in it when we bought our house. Our insurance co. wouldnt cover a wood burner in an unattached building. There theory was by the time you notice there is a problem the building will be a total loss.

I have put two woodburners in two different houses that we have owned. In all honesty by the time you buy the sotve, single and double walled black stove pipe (depending on intallation) and the class A chimney it would take a long time pay off the original ivestment if you were going use it just for burning scrap wood. To answer your original question you would not be able to vent it out of an existing vent of a gas appliance. I had that idea a few years ago and got the big, "NO" from the insurance company.