• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Did I hit the shoulder blade?

BradB

Is this still a high risk shot even though it is getting right to the heart and it would be less than a 10 yard shot? Would you take the shot is what I'm asking?

Yep, high risk and even at close range a lot of shots from a tree at that range don't go where you'd expect.

I'd prefer to move to a position to the side and look for a broadside shot if possible. Plus being off the main trail would give you better chances to avoid the deer smelling you.

On those types of stands, I try and play the wind and let them walk by. Often, once they get by you, they are not looking behind them, and you can draw and aim pretty easily. Give a little bah with your mouth and they will often turn broadside trying to figure out what the noise was. The trick to this is sitting so still and not blinking that the deer actually walk by. I do this with little bucks and they will almost all walk by me unless the wind is wrong, then the get a little nervous.