• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"Poor Circulation" What gram rubber boots to get Is this a dumb ?

Christopher Quast

So I was going to be getting a new pair of boots and I would like them to be rubber (scent reasons) and I've been looking at a pair from Cabelas online that are 2000 grams.

I have a pair of Irish Setter Buck Trackers which are 1000 gram and have wore them the past few years for rifle hunting and I should mention that I wear polypropelene liner socks and then a wool sock over them and on the days I sat for more than 4 hours my toes would start to get cold.

Do you think that would be overkill and in turn make my feet sweat alot easier while walking to my stand or should I only go up to say around 1200 grams and try that.

The only difference I see is the fact that the 2000 gram would be alot more bulky and make using my climber a little bit more difficult.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

I bought a pair of Dura Trax rubber hunting boots from Cabela's last year. They are 1200 grams thinsalate. I am very happy with them. They kept my feet dry and warm during bow season last year. Only once did my toes get chilled in them, but that was on a cold and windy day in December. I also use a climbing stand, and these boots do not present any problems.

A 2000 gram boot isn't going to be twice as warm as a 1000 gram. Once you get past 500 grams Thinsulate starts to become redundent due to packing it to tightly in the boot. To be perfectly honest 4 hours before getting cold in any weight hunting boot that isn't a pack boot is pretty good.