• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HELP! onboard charger acting up

aquafang

Question

I have a Cabelas prosport20plus onboard charger. It has been replaced once after one summer, and now last night I noticed that my blue power led and the green ready led are both pulsing. this tells me that the power supply is going bad. Is it bad luck or do the cabelas prosports have this track record. I also noticed the last couple times I've plugged it in that the battery type led was amber colored indicating a gel type battery for the first couple mins before switching to red.

5 answers to this question

Have the batteries tested and if they are good you know its the charger. It seems the ones I have had last about 3-6 years and then [PoorWordUsage] the bed. I better knock on wood because mt Minkota charger is on its 3rd season.

Water levels have always been slightly above the plates in my batteries. And have always had at least a half charge left at the end of a long day on the water also. So, I think the charger is shot. besides the power led should never pulse. It started acting funny the last couple months of summer. The charge light would go out but the ready light would not come on. but then sometimes it would come on every once in a while. I've kept it plugged in 24/7 since spring. That's the way they are designed though. that shouldn't matter.

Sorry to hear about your charger. I'm not very familiar with cabelas private label brand although they typically won't put their brand on something that is not a good product.

After going through a couple chargers and hearing a few horror stories about some, I went with a Dual Pro for my boat. Had it for 4 years now and it hasn't skipped a beat. They're top of the line, it's very rare to hear of anyone that has a problem with them. I think Minnkota chargers are right up there too. Might be something to think about if you're not having good luck with the cabelas brand.

If you end up replacing your charger you might want to check out the chargers and prices on my HSOforum, the link is in my signature.