• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Introducing the collar

NWBuck

How early do you guys use a collar on your pups? I've got a 7 month old female gsp who is coming along nicely, but will undoubtedly need a collar to reign her in at some point...she's a very big running dog. With previous pointers, I've waited until they were a year old before using a collar on them, but with this one, I'm thinking it might be necessary to start sooner.

NWBuck

anytime is a good time as long as you know what you are doing. Just remember you should teach the dog to do something before you use the collar for a correction. For example if your dog already knows the sit command use the collar to reenforce that command. I would use the vibate feature first for a correction then give a verbal command. If that doesn't work then use the simulate feature. Don't turn the collar up to high either. the dog should just be able to feel the collar without hurting the dog. I would also let the dog wear it for a little bit to get the feel of it before actually using it on the dog. This is what i did and the collar works great on my dog. She knows when the collar is on it is time for business, normally fun time because we are either training or this time of the year she knows we are going hunting.

I would go ahead. I had my 5 month old springer on one last fall. I just made sure to go through the verbal command, beep warning (which is what I have and use instead of a vibrate) and then the stimulation.

I agree, I have my springer on a collar right now at 6 months. He knows all of his verbal commands, I introduced him to the collar about 3 weeks before hunting, I use a verbal command, then beep warn, and a nick. I have only had to nick him twice. He listens very good.

I think your dog is old enough. But be patient. Make sure he knows all the commands first. Put one on mine last fall and introduced him to it. Had to nick him a couple of times.Dont nick for having fun like chasin birds, he still a pup. Been gettin mine in shape this fall and only had to nick him once. Thinkin about not even puttin it on him hes doing so well training.