Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tmvikings

Would you still use them

13 posts in this topic

Went to my parents house the other weekend and found a ton of shells that I used when in high school. I have a box of 12 gauge 3 shot 3inch- steel magnum copper-plated with a box date of 1993 the shells look good.

The next box 12g 2shot Steel classic HI-brass box date of 1991 these look even better.

Dates are old but what do you think(shot'em up)??

I have shells from about 9 years ago, I bought a few cases when they went on sale, they still work and have not had one dud yet...I say SHOOT!

As long as they have NO rust, they should be fine. If they are full of rust....DONT SHOOT!

Last year, I found and shot some paper shells.

I say SHOOT!

Just don't use them for ducks as they may be lead shot.

one box is steel classic hi-brass

the other is steel magnum copper plated

why would they be lead?

use em up if the primers are 100% I would not worry about ne duds

Make sure they aren't copper coated lead. I think they made some of those shells awhile back which aren't legal anymore.

Otherwise if they go BANG let em fly!

I would make sure something old like that won't turn into a collector someday before you shoot them but if not i shot my dads old goose shells from 10 years ago this season for early goose and i still knocked down a few so I'm sure they will work

One way to check if they are steel is to take a magnet and test if they are steel. Do not put the magnet on the primer though.