• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ammo - 20ga O/U

Hello,

I was wondering what ammo you 20ga over/under owners use for upland birds?

I'm thinking of trying a 2-3/4" shell in the first barrel because it's my understanding that 2-3/4" is better at 'normal range', and a 3" in the second, full choke barrel. That way if I need to take a second shot it will be a little further and the 3" might come in handy?

I should probably mention the barrel length is 26-1/2".

Any thoughts on this or ammo suggestions are appreciated. I thought I'd try asking here before a go buy a bunch of different ammo and start testing. .. Which gets me to thinking, what would you say is the average distance most birds are shot at? ...Maybe that's for another subject.

Which upland bird are you chasing? 2 3/4 should do the trick for all of them, but shot size will differ from bird to bird. I would buy a box of 1 oz. #6's for sure, as they work for nearly everything. If you're going to chase woodcock, maybe some 8 shot. Grouse, #6 works great, but you may want some 7 1/2 as well....

I appreciate the info on the shot size fellas. I've always used #6 in my 12ga. but wasn't sure about the 20.

For pheasants I'll probably just go with 3" lead #6 in both barrels and call it a day. I don't want to load them up with BB's or blow them apart but whatever works. ...I'm thinking it should be OK.

So, what is the average range pheasants are taken at? I'd guess around 30-35 yards? If anyone has some info on this that would be great.

I might just do some testing with different shells and find the ideal spread for average and long range shots.

Thanks again.

I've shot dozens of pheasants with my 870 ultralight 20. Its a nearly ideal pheasant gun and I NEVER shoot three inch shells through it. These birds are just not that tough to bring down. With lead I shoot 6's the first half the season and go to 4's the last half, all 2 3/4" 1 oz. loads.