• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Land Mounted Winch for Pulling in Dock/Lift....ideas?

fishlips

After pulling in the dock and lift once again this fall, I'm to the point where I see the value in a winch mounted onto a pole somewhere back from the shoreline. This would allow me to pull in the dock and lift on my own. Does anyone have any input and/or pictures on what works the best as far as pole type, height, winch type, distance, etc. thanks....

I've seen it where the poll is driven into the ground and cut flush with the ground. Then you mount the winch on another piece of metal with a poll under it the just slids into the one in the ground. Hook up a 12 volt bat. and away you go.

I have a treated 4x6 mounted about 4 feet deep in the ground straight down, then another 4x6 dug in at a 45 degree angle wedged up against the upright post. This thing has some serious anchoring ability for pulling. My problem has been finding a loop/hook strong enough to avoid straightening out when pulling some of the things I've pulled.

I've pulled pontoons out of the water on a trailer right off the beach. Works great. No problems pulling docks or lifts, just need a lot of cable.

Not sure if they still offer them but Polaris had an accesory winch package called a Versa-Winch that was portable that you could strap to a tree or a post or just about anything solid. It had a nice remote so you could stand away from the unit while pulling and I believe they came with a block and tackle to increase the pulling capacity. I always meant to pick one up but never got around to it! Check with your local dealer if your interested and see if they still offer them, they looked slick for tons of things. I though they might me handy for hoisting up deer at deer camp!

How about an earth anchor? Purchase one that is about three to four feet long with at least an eight to ten inch auger. You will not pull this out. Screw it in so the top loop is flush with the surface so you can mow over without hitting with the blades.

I am going to do this as well. I have a 32' steel hewitt dock that I need to pull up a hill. I have used a winch on my ball hitch on truck for last 7 years, but new construction won;t allow me to get truck into right spot. So going to pound a steel dock post (older thicker one) down and then slide a huge clevice aorund it. Attach the winch to clevice and pull it up. /Then slide clevice off when done. I just hope the post is heavy enough, will see! ha!