• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone have tips on handgun bullets for ML?

IndyEFI500

Just bought my smoke gun and am thinking of using hand gun bullets with sabots. I am wondering what anyone else uses. I am going to be back in my old stomping grounds later this week and will try to hook up with a guy that I used to buy all my bullets from since he was always cheapest. One thing I have noticed on the web is you don't find many hand gun bullets in 44/45 cal over 240 grains. Is that bad? What grain are you using? One of the guys I work with is thinking of using a 50 to 45 caliber sabot with a 45 to 40 caliber sabot inside with a 40 caliber bullet inside that. Seems one too many sabots to me but am curious if anyone has tried this. Looking forward to your input.

I have been using Hornady's 44 cal. XTP at 300 grains for over fifteen years. I have used this same bullet in both a muzzleloader and handgun. Accuracy is good and the few bullets I have recovered from game show nice expansion and good weight retention. I usually get a complete pass through at ranges out to a hundred yards. I haven't shot at any thing further with a muzzleloader other than targets.

I would not try the two sabot thing. There are lighter bullets available that will give the same velocity and probably be just a bit more accurate. I think that sabot sandwich could cause problems with both accuracy and presure. Since most sabots have a hollow base you would have a void in the middle of your projectile that would probably try to expand outward while the gas from cumbustion pushes ahead making the sabot on the outside try to grip the bore a lot tighter than a normal load would.

The 2 sabot thing is a bad idea.

I am using .452 XTPs in 250 and 300 grains with black crushed rib sabots in my tight bored Omega. I but the bullets and sabots seperately and that saves on $$$. XTPs are a good choice.

The green sabots are for the .44 cal bullets, the black sabots are for the .452s.

You want the sabots to load fairly tight but not crazy tight.

Some feel that the Speer Gold Dot bullets are the best pistol bullets around. I haven't tried them but that is the word at the range.

Hornady 44 cal .430 240 grain HP/XTP bullets with MMP sabots for 50 cal muzzy they jacket both .429 and .430 bullets, color code green.

by far, the cheapest route, and most accurate way to load a muzzleloader

also, quite a few of us muzzy hunters load them this way, as its pretty common.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have heard to many stories of the power belts going awry to want to rely on them especially for the price. The double sabot thing just gets my what the? meter running on overdrive. I hadn't thought about the fact of having the second hollow portion wanting to expand. I think I have found many cheaper pistol bullets to tip the scale. My brain just wants to think of pistol bullets as short range but they also use a lot less oomph to get them going. Again, I appreciate the help to a nub.

I have been shooting the TC shock waves but just about out. I am going to try some hornadays .452s this time. Much cheaper and have been a proven bullet. How many grains of powder? I shoot the AP shockeys gold and love the stuff.