• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deep cycle?

Rivernut

Question

Deep cycle went dead today. Put on my 6amp charger, which shut of in 2 hrs. Battery status indicator on motor says full charge. Ran on high for a minute, checked again, says full. I'm thinking its a no brainer. Bad battery, it's 4-5 yrs old. But I wonder how often the chargers go bad. It is a Minnkota 6 amp on board. Battery is a sc225 Trojan. Any ideas, thanks.

10 answers to this question

Rivernut, How full are the cells? Can you see electrolyte when you remove the caps? Those cells should be filled to the ring on the bottom of the hole. That's like ~1" below the top of the hole(hope that's clear). Now that your charger shows the battery is charged, this would be the correct time to top off the cells with Distilled Water Then put 'er back on the charger and finish charging. I'd also agree that your charger is a little small for that battery. Personally, I run 2-8 year old SCS225 Trojans. I use an Automatic charger that can start at 30 amp charge and backs down as the battery charges. The guy from the Trojan warehouse in the cities told me the best way to charge Deep Cycle Batteries is to replace the charge like it was taken out. EG: High amp charge for a lot of heavy use (trolling motor) and a trickle charge for a slow discharge (a radio and a couple small lights etc.) Hope this helps, Phred52

I don't have a lot of faith in load testing. I brought my 1 year old batterys in to Battery + and was told that they were still good when load tested and wouldn't be replaced under warranty. Those batterys would only last 3-4 hrs at best when new. I installed new batterys for the third time in three years. First two sets came from that battery store and the last set came from Sams Club, these will run hard all day and have still have plenty of power left.

Good luck

Later HTB