• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early 80's Merc carb conversion?

311Hemi

I have a 1983 Merc 25 HP outboard that I cannot find a replacement part for.

Anyone know if I can take the carb off say a 1985 Merc 25 HP as a direct replacement? The power head for my 1985 Merc 20hp and 1983 Merc 25 look identical.

I'm fairly certain they are the same carb. As long as they both have an integral fuel pump. That being said, the next thing would be to make sure the high speed jet is the same size. A 20 hp jet may be smaller than a 25hp.

Well...I would be looking for a carb off a 25hp engine. Twin City outboard said a carb swap would not work.....but I still don't see why that would be. I would have to think they are roughly the same, only a different make carb. I know the newer ones have round metal fuel bowls.

The part I currently need is the plastic fuel bowl....which I have not been able to locate anywhere.

I take it the plastic one broke. Is that the bowl with the indent?

There are a few things to consider on a carb swap with different style. Dia, linkage, jetting, and fuel pump impulse.

When I was in high school we had shop, metals, and wood working classes. This part could be easily made.

Tillotson BC carb. I'll keep my eyes open for one.

Yep...that is correct...and thanks!!!

I was going to call Tillotson....but figured it would be a lost cause.

BTW.....my dog is currently injured and the new pup is not old enough....but I was going to check with you to see if you were possibly interested in grouse hunting again Thanksgiving weekend.

Might also try some duck hunting with a friend up there (still waiting for detail from him)....so not exactly sure how my weekend will pan out yet. But thought I would mention it in case you may be interested.

I did not call Merc, I will try to do that today if I get the time. I "MAY" have located a carb just out of pure luck on another states fishing forum....but I need to make sure it's the correct one.

Carb# is 1364-4929

S/N: 7202312 if I remember correctly.