• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auger Flighting?

NAMASafetyDirector

Just wondering what everones input is on auger flighting? I currently have a Mag 2000 with the single chipper blade that works well, I just bought another new auger (Lazer Mag Xpress) that has the dual blade lazer flighting on it. My brother has the dual blade lazer but seemed to have problems with it building ice on it between moves and needed to take a rubber hammer and bust the ice out before drilling again otherwise it wouldn't cut. In the process I think he might have bent the flighting a bit and changed the pitch of the blades, now it doesn't seem to cut right so I am a little nervous about the new auger for this reason. Anyone run in to this?? Just checking to see what everyones preference and or experience is with thier's. Thanks NAMA

I have had a lazer mag express for three years and love it. last year I noticed it not cutting as well which I believe it due to the thousands of holes I have drilled with it. I plan on exchanging the blades and I bet it will be good as new.

MN Angler

With my Lazer blades I just make sure to keep it spinning when I pull it out of the hole to spin the water off. I cover the blades and don't set them in the snow to make sure nothing freezes on them. I haven't had any issues when doing this. I had issues when I used the chipper blade because I would let ice build up on it and it was tough to use.

What I have found with both types is after drilling a hole when you go to the next spot if you don't clear the snow off the ice it seems to freeze in between the blades or blade and point. Something to do with the end still being wet and hitting the snow, seems to pack in and freeze. As long as I clear the snow off the ice first works great every time. Also I only notice this when it is good and cold out. If it is above freezing never an issue.