• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Does anyone use a jerk rig/string?

I need to add movement to my spread. I was considering quiver magnets, quiver ducks, and quiver butts. Although I have not heard to many good things about these products. The complaints have been short battery life, not enough vibration. So I am considering either purchasing or making a jerk string/rig. Does anyone use one of these? And would they reccomend using one?

have always thought about making one and then I never do because I hunt some pretty deep water and that would be a pain to lug around all that line when pickin up dead birds. they should work really well as I dont see very many people using them.

I bought one at scheels last year for $25 bucks it moves a dozen decoys. I liked it and I have some spots I feel that it would work well. I like making things myself so if I were to do it again I would save my money and build it myself.

For my version of a jerk string I just use a mallard feeder butt, decoy line, and a 5 lb plate weight. Just run the line through the hole in the plate and tie it to the decoy butt. When I have everything set and the boat camoed up, I throw this rig out and use it. I have a terrible time with mallards so I don't shoot enough of them to say if it works or not as far as attracting, but it definitely makes some nice ripples in the water. I would guess this would work with a decoy too, just have probably put an eye screw in the breast of the decoy and one in the bill.

Brian

We started using a home made version last year, and it really worked, especially on those days with no wind. We just use a one of our strings, but at the end add a section of bungie cord attached to a small anchor (window weight) and at the other end we have a pull cord that goes throught a small/simple carbiner attached to a small anchor. That keeps the line out of the way and sight. Works great, and minimal cost.

We also can hook a spreader to it with more decoys, but that starts to get complicated in the dark. We actually have had about 20 decoys hooked up to it and it works, but not as easy to pull and just more cumbersome. Half a dozen would work just as good I think.

Give it a try. We tested it out during the summer while swimming on my lake on a sandbar, just to see how it would work, and the people driving by thought we were nuts smile