• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cooking Breakfast in the Duck Boat ???

I'd like to here the Do's and dont's. I figured it would really add something special to youth waterfowl day and the kids would love it. I've never tried this before but have heard of others doing it. Some tips would be great. I'll be hunting out of a 14' boat and guessing attempting this in shallow water.

Obviously you'll need a heat source.

The old standby of a Coleman type stove is what we've used in the past. This year though, I'll probably have the obtion of using the NEW propane two burner (smaller, cleaner, and flatter).

As in camping situations, stability is the key. If your not totally level and stable its dangerous. So find a very thick stand of weeds or solid mud or ground to beach your boat in.

After that its all up to you:

- One great idea my dad reminded me of is the "Omelet in Bag"

It's a good one: just add the eggs, meat, veggies, and seasonings into each individual omelet bag so everybody gets their favorite. They fit easily into a lunch cooler, don't matter if they get shaken up either...

- Or... They used to sell a pancake mix in a small plastic container (16oz?) that just required adding water to a line, shaking it up, and pouring. We generally added blueberries, but you could try chocolate chips, etc. Extremely simple.

- Or... Last year my nephew stated that this was the best breakfast he'd ever had: I make one pack of sausage links (then cut up), added scrambled eggs, cheese, and pre-diced orange and red bell peppers and cooked. We severed it on tortillas and had breakfast burritos. I'd say you could save your self some effort in the boat and pre cook/dice the sausages (or bacon) and bring them in a bag w/ the pre diced onions, peppers, cheese, etc. then just add to the bag of eggs and tah dah... Your the Emeril of the Swamp!!!

JUST BEWARE>>> It usually goes w/o saying that the minute you crack out he vittles, the ducks start flying in from nowhere.

I've got an old sunflower style propane heater. I'll probably just flip the stand over and figure out a way to fasten it to the boat for safety reasons. I'm thinking about trying some kind of a breakfast sandwich becuase it seems like something the kids can handle.

Nothing better than cooking in the blind on a cold crisp morning! But as stated once you get cooking the birds always seem to show up. As stated you may want to bring along a fire extinguisher, why from experiance. Last yr me and my brother had a huge flock of red legs drop down from the clouds on us and in the excitement to grab our guns we hit the stove over and started some of the rafia grass stapled to our blind on fire. What a site us trying to put out the fire and birds locked up then flairing from all the commotion! We laughed about it for some time but in all seriousness it could of turned out worse, so be carefull!