• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappies...???

pkwalleye

1/32 oz weight seems about best, be it a feather jig, tube jig, twister combo, marabou jig, etc.

4 lb line is about perfect for Crappies, as they can be a bit finicky.

Right now, depths are all over the map and really depends on the body of water and most recent and current weather conditions. Some lakes are seeing crappies as deep as 30 feet right now, but I would suggest starting at the outside weed edge (will vary depending on the water clarity) and work your way deeper until you make contact with some fish. Friday I found Crappies off the 2nd major breakline, about a foot off the bottom, in 16-18 FOW. They bit well on a vertically presented 1/32oz tube jig, plain.

Good luck.

I agree with the above post. Your depth finder is your best friend this time of year. They could be any where and the depth changes constantly based on the weather. My best spots are always near a bar or a point. Start off on the bar and work your way out to the deeper water and they will show up. I had better luck with a 2" gulp white minnow grub on a 1/16 oz jig than with a real minnow. I was out friday and found them at 15 to 20' and again about a foot or two off the bottom. Friday was a perfect day to be out for verticle jigging. No wind so you could stay right on them and watch your graph like ice fishing. I use 4 lb fireline crystal.

One question. How does a bobber stop for slip bobbers work on the 4 lb. Fireline Crystal? I tried it on some heavier stuff and it didn't go so well....

Fireline is not the ideal line for slip bobbers as its too slippery to hold a knot as you probably know. I have used those plastic strips with the holes in them and they work O.K. but I generally stick with mono for slip bobbers.