• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

laptop computer

smilee_54

Question

I am hoping that someone has a little more knowledge on laptops than I do. I have an hp that nothing shows up on the monitor so I hooked it up to an external monitor and the load up screen starts and when it goes to windows page the monitor shuts down. I am thinking graphics card or hard drive.. I hate to pay someone to look at it but if I have to I will

11 answers to this question

Make sure you try the alternate between the screen and an external monitor, on mine it is the function key and f4 key.

YOu can also try starting it up in safe mode. You can do that by pressing the f8 key as the start windows flashes. I would start pressing repeatedly before it gets to that point. I am guessing you have lost a few sectors on the hard drive.

How old is the laptop? You may have some warranty left and can get some specific help from HP. Worth looking into especially if the hard drive is toast.

If you had lines on screen or tapping did come back it is not the graphic card since it does display on standard monitor. Also it is not the hard drive or it will not boot or operate properly. You display is damaged and I bet the problem is in the flexible circuit connector on the hinges. It probably cracked, broke off, or just disconnected.

How old is it ? If more than 2 years old I wouldn't have it repaired, unless charges are $ 150 or less. You can buy a new one for almost twice as much anymore.

yea one of the eletronics stores wants 75 bucks just to take a look at it so I am not sure what I want to go that route. I might just get rid of it a purchase a new one the cost of fixing it compared to a new laptop. The laptop is more that two years old. I can get something better for the same price. It is an hp. I don't think I am going to purchase and hp. I think I will go a differnt route but not sure. How could I wipe out the hard drive if I want to get rid of it if I don't have a monitor?

The easiest way to clear a HD is to buy a "wipe" program.

You can run a format c:\ from the command prompt but a good computer tech can recover form that, a "wipe" writes 1's adn 0's on every sector of the drive to completely clear it.

It could be just a driver, try hitting F4 on boot up and choose "Safe Mode" adn see if it works then, if so you probably have a bad or corrupted driver for the video and can download a new version form HP's HSOforum.

Good Luck

If you can boot with it connected to another monitor, you could back all your data to an external hard drive. Then search on google for a program that will write zeros to your hard drive and run it a couple of times on it so it's good and clean. You can get decent laptops now for $300 so it doesn't really pay to repair them unless it's minor.