• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can't get my G5's to fly worth schmidt? Whats going on?

Ok first off I have always shot Rocket mechanicals and this year I thought I would try fixed blades just to take that chance of deflection completely out of the question (I feel you owe it to the animal you are shooting at) and I am trying the G5's by Montec and I can't get them to fly consistently.

I shot 4 rounds of 3 arrows at 20 yds and two were just about touching each other and the third arrow would shoot high and left consistently, but then I put the head on a different arrow and then it would go consistently right and low.

I'm guessing I probably have to tune my broadheads or bow, But I know my bow is laser tuned perfect and shoots my mechanicals just fine. I'm thinking probably that I have to paper tune the bow which is alot of messing around this close to the season, and then this winter when I go to shoot league I will have to resight my bow all in again.

So at this point I'm leaning towards shooting my Rockets again this year , But would prefer not too. Is there an easy fix for this? IF so what is it?

What kind of arrow?.. it could be your insert is not in straight, and its causing your broadhead to hydroplane. Mark your arrows, if its just one arrow always missing.. then dont use that arrow for hunting.

From the sounds of it, you have 2 arrows that are perfect.. you should be able to get other to hit there as well... make sure you dont have clearance issues.

Like Deitz suggested clearance is the biggest suspect. If you are not using a drop away this could be your problem. Even if you are using a drop away, make sure your knock is turned so your fletch can't contact your cables.

Frustrating I know. Good luck.

Make sure you let us know what you find.

Two different misses with two different arrows. Put that broadhead on all your arrows and shoot them to see if there is a consistent miss. This will tell you wether you have one bad arrow or if it's something else. Could very well be your grip also.

I wouldn't say that paper tuning is tough or too much work. In fact I think you owe it to yourself and the animals you hunt to make sure your bow is in the best condition possible.

Paper tuning and making the adjustments is very easy an can be done in an hour. There are no major changes unless you're moving your nock point which is pretty easy because you can clamp on brass nocks for temporary locations and then tie in the permanent one when you're all tuned.

Any quality proshop can get you in and taken care of, but you may have to wait since its so late in the prep period.

I wouldn't blame the broadheads, except unless the one head is to blame. If the same head causes inconsistencies no matter what arrow its on I would guess the ferrule or threading is bent slightly from being dropped or something. Shooting mechanicals well is deceiving cause it can hide tuning or form issues that would show up with a different head or shots at longer distances.