• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pushing Slide Film Questions

I'm trying to fix my self-induced mess. Any help would be appreciated.

I photographed Indians doing a war dance around a campfire. I pushed my 400-speed Fuji Provia slide film to 1250. They turned out great! My problem is I didn't set my camera back. I never push film, and I'm used to not having to set film speed since it is DX coded and my camera reads it on its own. So the next morning I shot some rolls of film in bright lighting, again, 400-speed film at 1250 (I ran out of 100 speed). I've identified the messed up rolls through clip tests. On many, the darks appear too black and detail-less. But surprisingly some don't look half-bad, and these tend to be the rolls, which I have one frame to judge by. I've been telling myself I have to develop them all pushed. They'll be grainy, and the galloping horses will be verrrry sharp images.

Is there a drawback to pushing film in bright light conditions that I am forgetting about? The exposures shouldn't be too light, should they?

First of all I can't believe you got any keepers pushing your slide film as far as you did, wow! Slide film normally doesn't have nearly the latitude that print film has. I've usually only been able to push slide film one stop with decent results and have been lucky to get two stops with print film.

You have to develop them with pushing instructions. I think you've identified what your results will be as well, grainy for sure. The exposures will be correct if you got them correct in camera even with pushing. Considering the extra cost of pushing I'm not sure it would be worth developing unless these are valuable images, then I would go for it.

I'm sure glad I don't have to make those mistakes again, I ruined more than one or two rolls of film that way Weed Shark. Of course there are plenty of other mistakes of a person can make with any camera. Good luck with the photos. Let us know how they turn out.

DBL

These rolls are definately worth processing, I can't believe I did this to them. That Sunday morning was some of the best stuff I shot in 4 days of photography; top Lakota models in great concepts. It's why I'm double checking my thought process.

Thanks for the reassurance!