• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sturgeon

TMF89

Alright guys, now that I'm in college up at Bemidji, which is pretty close to Rainy, me and some of my dorm buddies have carefully decided (while we spent 10 seconds walking up the stairs) that we are going to go sturgeon fishing this spring.

Now I go flathead catfishing as well, so I'm pretty sure I have the tackle set-up (8' MH fiberglass rod, Abu Garcia 7000, 65lb pp) right, but what about location? Presentation? Lodging? Chances of actually hooking up with a fish?

Basically what I'd love to know is how you guys do the trip, from start to finish.

Thanks guys!

Spring on the Rainy can be great for sturgeon.

Your flathead gear will work. They can be really light biters, though, so something sensitive is a plus. I like a rod with a nice, soft tip.

Lodging? Anywhere you can find. I can't help you with that.

As for presentation, crawlers are a good bet. I usually run 1.5-4 ounces of sinker, depending on the current. Use a slip sinker, barrel swivel, 6-18 inch leader, and a 2/0-5/0 circle hook. Gob a few crawlers on there and wait.

I like to find deeper water and fish that. I've never really found that structure makes a difference. Sturgeon are wanderers. One kep is keeping your boat still. Two anchors are very helpful to keep the boat still.

I'd say your chances of hooking a fish are very good. They are pretty plentiful.

Treat them with respect. Bring a very large net and avoid holding them by the gills and vertical holds. Support their body horizontally and get them back in the water after a few pictures.

Look back to posts about the sturgeon excursion for more info, but it really is simple.

Ralph, will they take the clicker, or are they even lighter than that? I might have to get some clip-on bells then.

So you're catching the big ones on crawlers huh? Works for me, a lot cheaper than cutbait, lol.

I've been told Fall sturgeon fishing on the Rainy can be just as good as the spring, if not better. The season is open but the fisherman aren't there, most outdoors people have other priorities that time of year.