• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lab pup keeps regurgitating

Scott M

The pup keeps regurgitating and then re-swallowing food at odd hours. It's not even immediately after she eats. She always swallows it again...it doesn't even leave her mouth. It's the telltale heaving and then you hear her barf and swallow.

Any reason she would be doing this? Her food has remained the same and we haven't really changed anything on her. It just seems odd.

I would call a vet. She may have eaten something that was a no-no. ie. a sock, garbage bag etc. May be lodged and preventing her from digesting her food normally.

I should add its been going on for closing in on a week...it's nothing acute. She's passing stools with no problem and has a healthy appetite, no other symptoms of anything of concern in her digestive tract have shown up.

I would recommend calling the vet if she has been doing this for a week...as has been mentioned.

Are you feeding anything else to the dog? Meds, treats, etc, that could have changed?

She may just have an upset stomach which can take days to resolve or may have bacteria that could be causing it. I am going through the same exact issue you describe (with my 3 yo lab), but I started a new NSAID the day it first began....so I know what is likely causing the issue here. Our dog has been on white rice and boiled chicken breast for the past 1.5 days and seems to be doing better. You vet may recommend this diet also as it's easy on the stomach and help things get back to normal.....but please consult them! Not to scare you but more serious things could be happening also. We had a blood panel done last week for other reasons...so I know all is well as far as that goes.

How old is the pup?

She's four months. My wife took her in so they could take a look at her sutures and staples from last week's surgery and their best guess is she might be swallowing a little blood and getting a gag reflex. She's lost about half of her baby teeth.

Hopefully this behavior will stop soon. Moods and behaviors haven't changed at all, there aren't any different smells, or change in stools or loss of appetite so my concern level is pretty small. I'm guessing it will taper off and end, if not then I'd go see the vet again.

I'll keep everyone posted.

She had a really sick day so we took her in. Vet couldn't figure much of anything, figured it was some sort of indigestion. She perked up a little and my wife and I took her for a walk and she passed a fairly large sock. Not sure how she got ahold of it.

Neighbor said his dog does the same thing (swallowing and passing socks). Apparently they get frequent upset stomach, possibly a buildup of acids in the stomach as a result, and throw up infrequently.

At any rate the behavior stopped this week and she won't be getting anywhere near the laundry!

Sorry I missed this post. Maja hit this right on the head and something all new owners should watch out for. We have had 2 of our sold puppies encounter this. One was almost 2 years old and pulled through after close to $2500 of treatment. The other had a fun and successful waterfowl season at less than a year old and shortly after, tragically did not pull through. Both swallowed something that got lodged in the large intestine and punctured it. Both were diagnosed correctly but only the older dog had the strength to battle the poisoning of it's system.

So my wife informed me tonight that my dog ate one of the kid's socks today. Called the vet and he adviced me to just keep an eye on him for now. If he stops eating or appears sick in anyway to bring him in.

Is this good advise? Not looking for a vet bill that is not required, but want him healthy. Can I let nature take its course for now?