• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Huge Gills

colonel42

Went out fishing on a local lake last night with good intentions of catching some walleyes. A friend of mine told me the evening before they got into the eyes so I figured I would give it a try. On the way there a huge storm passed over so my luck was already heading down hill. Since we were only a few miles away we droppped the boat in anyway. Started fishing in the area he told me 25' of water and a hundred yards off the beach. Started catching fish immediately. Not walleyes though. Huge Blue gills. We fished for about an hour or so and caught 20+ that were 8" to 10" long. Man are they a blast to catch. They turn sideways coming up and made your rod feel like you had a huge hog on. Will be going back tonight with the kids and let them have some fun.

Seems the big gills school up in the deeper water during the summer, while the smaller pan size fish remain in the weeds. I remember as a young kid I stumbled upon this pattern where I camped every summer, we would just go out a certain distance(no electronics) and then fish right over the side of the boat a foot off the bottom and wait for your rod tip to move. Got many big gills, bigger than I even realized back then, and oh yea do they fight for their size!

I was pulling leadcore with small cranks the other day and caught a few big bluegulls out of 30 feet of water. Here's one way to tell you have a nice bluegill --- when it has the whole treble hook in it's mouth and has all three barbs holding grin