• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1st bird

machohorn

Took my 11 week pup "Griz" to a trainer to see what he thinks of potential in him. After about 15 minutes of sniffin and snoopin he finally started to follow commands. He then went to grab a clipped barn bird and threw that out. he looked and played with it like a wing I have until it moved and started to run. I cannot believe the difference in his attitude! He chased it about a minute, caught it and promptly brought it back and delivered to my hand. Not the 3-4 times he does with a dummy but a full 45 minutes 15-20 toss's and lots of praise. Now I have seen and read here about live bird training but my gosh I would never have thought. When we got home I tossed the dummy and he was eager to get it and bring it back more then ever. So after Labor Day I am buying some birds. Any one want to come join the fun in the Monticello area?

He is a natural retriever that is what he has been bred for. I would be a little cautious at over doing it a little to much.

The things that I would concentrate on most right now would just be straight up obedience. The sit and heel commands down to the point where he will do them in situations where he is even excited.

The retrieving sounds like it won't be a problem.

I know but it was fun to give him a little something different. As far as going out in Sept with a live bird with others I just thought it might make a fun G.T.G. with people with common interestd and pups

He found his special purpose in life.

Same thing happened with my Springer when he was a pup. He had been a little bored with bumpers and I was a little worried, but my training buddies flipped out a clip-wing and he went nuts, first chasing but a little unsure, then picking it up and bringing it to me. That still was a great moment...

maynardfirstclipwing.jpg

Now Maynard just ran his first Fun Field Trial and is looking good for pheasant season! It just happens - and it's so great to see!

Careful not to do too many of these - I know it's fun, but they can get burned on it. A couple retrieves are enough, in my opinion. You always want it to be fun.

No problem. Get a free account at Photobucket.

Follow the directions to upload your pix there.

When you want to post here - choose "reply" - look at the box above the typing section - 4th one from the left - click on it and one of the choices is "Insert a non-floating image" .

Go back to photobucket - click on "direct link" - so it copies the link to the picture - copy that in that little box "Non-floating image" and WHAMMO - there you got it.

I think you could embed the image yourself on the quick reply by copying the "IMG" code and pasting it in the txt box, but I've never done that.

Does that help?

If not - be patient - I'm going out dog training right now, but will be back later.

Good luck and thanks for the nice words about Maynard. He's a good hunter - but still an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly - heheh. How can a dog be SO DUMB in my house and yet be so wonderful in the field? LOL

I should have stayed home. Good gravy, something got into Maynard tonight. We had a fly away pigeon - the gunners missed him and he wouldn't let go of it. I'd cast him off in the opposite direction, he'd make a turn and start running for that bird again.

I had to repent after using the Lord's name in vain a couple times. My excuse was - the whistle wasn't working to turn Maynard, so I thought maybe some choice words would help. LOL.

Oh well, that's dog training sometimes....

It's funny how they can look like super pup one time then look like meat head the next. We went camping/fishing at the big pond this weekend with Griz and when we got home and unpacked the wifey and me were sitting on the deck, I threw out his dummy he ran over sniffed it and came back and layed down. I knew then that he had enough the past 2 days

Yep.

I was having some problems with him backcasting. I had a wedding this weekend, so I left him at Bill's after Thursday training to board - he said he would work with him a bit.

I guess he did alright - as he brought him to a fun trial and he got a placement at the Puppy stakes while I was at the wedding! On Sunday, we were training, and he was casting out nicely.

I love training with this group - good guys and nice Springers...

Don't worry mongo, no matter how far we drift off subject we always come back lol. And it's nice to hear from others about their pups. I was also thinking the other day. They have G.T.G for fishing and if I had room I would have a G.T.G. for dogs. In fact I might check around and do a litle planning and start some thing next year early spring.

I love training with this group - good guys and nice Springers...

My dad used to train there with those guys for several years. I would go with occasionally. It's a great group. Ask Bill or Silo, or Randy about Jim and Dan. They will know us. Bill ran one of our dogs Bailey and he was a Field Champion. One of our other dogs Riley was one of Bill's main stud dogs for several years.