• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whale Tale? Wing on an Outboard?

dfv87

Question

I had one on my old boat, 1650 Lund Pro Sport with Merc 90 and I could plane out easily. Now I have a 1850 Monark King with a 140 Susuki 4 stroke and it doesn't seem to plane very quickly comparativley. This is my 1st 4 stroke engine and I know they are heavier but I really don't want to drill holes for a fin if I don't need to. Anybody else have opinions on the fins?

3 answers to this question

In some applications they work well. In my opinion, mostly on lower hp / smaller boats.

Usually (again, in my opinion) if you need one on a motor over 75 hp the issue is the prop being too large (pitch wise) to allow the boat to plane out quickly.

marine_man

Agree with Marine Man. You really need to find the right prop. If you haven't tried several stainless steel props yet, just to test and see which works best, that is your first step.

Also talk to others (boat motor forum here and others are great sources of info) and see what they are using for that boat and motor combo, or at least similar. That will get you about 2 or 3 prop choices to focus on. Figure about $250 for aused prop to about $500 for a new SS prop, but it will be worth every penny.

Good luck,

gotta try props those sting ray deals are no good when placed on big motors. the more pitch the more speed(21*) the less pitch the faster you will "jump" outta water(17) but you loose speed on the one with more pitch you loose holeshot. depends on distace traveled long runs I would try the less pitch (21*) for better mpg's. short distance I would use the less pitched (17)

I had a buddy with a 18' bass tracker try the littlest number possible I think it was a 16 and he pretty much could jump outta the water. the motor was a 75 optimax

I use a 21* up north usually

and a 19 round the southern lakes

the astrict is a plus model