• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's Better - Inside or Outside Weedlines This Time of Year

canman

Depends on the lake, but more important is the relationship to deep water, if it is close by then I have more confidence that the fish will be anywhere on the weedline, inside or out. On a large shallow shore line, I look to the outside, nearest deep water.

I would agree with some of the stuff that riverrat said and would add that on cloudy windy shorelines they should be shallow on that side. but like riverrat said it depends on each lake.

My experience has been that time of day can be a factor too. Sunday night I trolled a big offshore flat on the inside weedline. The first time around at about 8pm all I got was perch. The second time around at 9pm as the sun was hitting the trees it was all walleyes.

For me I usually start on the outside and move in if the fish aren't snapping there. But there are so many variable to take into account with several being touched on here already.

Water temps, water clarity, wind, light levels/time of day, predominant weed types, oxygen levels... all factor in to where the food is and thus the predator fish are.

Good Luck!

I like the outside weed edge during the day and the inside edge in evening and after dark. Most of the lakes I chase walleye's in have a 18'-23' deep weed edge and a inside edge of about 10'-12'. rigging and jigging the deep edge and cranking the shallow.