• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 things - both are driving me nuts

RuKiddingMe

#1 - I have a nice little pond in my back yard, it's great no neighbors behind me only a city park. Problem is the pond is home to a Muskrat and this pest seems to think that my yard is the perfect place to do his borrowing. The first 15' up from the pond sounds hollow when you stomp you foot down. Do anyone know how to humanely remove this Muskrat?

#2 - I also have voles/moles/whatever tunneling all over in my yard. I have used insecticide to kill off all and any grubs, but the tunnels are still a problem. Any ideas?

In the end I'm sure I will have to excavate the whole yard and start over, but I would love to rid the problem causers first.

Not sure about the muskrats but for the moles, I use Talpirid. I get it from lesco but i believe Menards sells the same thing called Tomcat i think. It is pricey but it works. You poke a hole someplace in the mole run and stick a worm down there then cover the hole up without tamping the run down. Wait about a day or two then tamp it down. Works every time.

Illegal to take muskrats out of season.

Sounds like you got a nice and kinda wild area.

You chose to live there. I live in a area in the country on a back water of a 1600 acre lake. I choose to live here also,Muskrats in my shoreline also,mice voles,coyotes,fox deer,turkeys,etc.I chose to live with them,so I leave em be.I also hunt,But take nothing out my door not even pests, of which I moved into their territory.

Sparcebag, while I agree with you for the most part, I love the ducks, deer, geese, hawks, eagles, and all animals in my area, they are all one reason I wanted the house we bought. The muskrat was an unknown to me at the time of purchase, they are a disaster in areas where they don't have the room for huts and borrow in the the banks of the shoreline instead. Had I known about the muskrat at the time we bought I would have kept looking, I am fully aware of the damage they can do in an area like we have.

My intentions are to live trap the muskrat and release it in the pond behind my office.