• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Correct setup for a "t" fitting between main motor and kicker

Mykal

Need a little expert advice. I have a 3/8" main fuel line on a 07 Lund Pro V that that runs into a primer bulb about a foot from where the gas line is connected to the boat. Another foot to a brass "t". The straight line runs to my Optimax and the "t" line runs directly to my 9.9 kicker. My question is should I install a primer bulb between the "t" and my kicker? Also should I move the other primer bulb to the main motor on the back side of the the "t" closest to the main motor? The "t" was put in at a dealership but every once in a while it seems that my kicker wants to stall when in gear at idle speed, like it's gas starved.

From what I understand is that with the kicker line behind the primer bulb like you have it, the main motor can suck air via the kicker creating a lean condition. Each line should have it's own primer bulb and the kicker line should be T'd before the primer bulb for the main motor. On my boat I also have a shut off valve on the kicker line to make sure tha main motor is getting fuel directly from the tank.

I think Black Bay has it right. The best set-up is to have each fuel line run directly to the tank, each with it's own primer bulb. If that's not an option, a T or a switch / cut-off between the tank and each motor's primer bulb is the way to go.

Also, it sounds like your primer bulb is closer to the tank than to the motor? Usually the primer bulb is closer to the motor.

Thanks Guys! That makes sense. Running the kicker direct to tank is not an option right now. I have a spot for it but it is not tapped yet.

It just didn't seem right but I didn't question it as I said it was rigged at a dealer. I already bought the stuff I need to make the changes.

In my opinion you should really have a t with a valve instead of a straight T. Without the straight T the main motor will draw the fuel from the kicker motor's fuel line and has the potential to pull air from the kicker in some situations.

A T Valve with a between the valve and the fuel tank pickup primer would take care of your situation.

marine_man

In the future, have your dealer install a water/fuel separater then simply hook both lines to that. This not only splves your problem, but it's also very good for your motors.