• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bow hunting and bugs

Dahit

I was shore fishing one day this year and sat in some tall weeds by shore on a warm day. I had on a short sleeved shirt and a pair of cut offs. I turned the thermo call on a necer recieved a bug bite in 2 hours time. These babies do work well.

I had the butane in and the little pad on. I even tried a few different pads. I could see from the window that it was running, and could even slightly smell it. It just didn't have any affect on the bugs for me. They still tore me up. I tried it again on a family vacation and still saw no real effect.

I bought mine last year before going to BWCA - had the same experience where I didn't see in effect on the bugs and thought mine was junk. However, I've used it several times this summer mowing, working outside, or on the boat and it sure does make a HUGE difference! I actually see that they now are making the pads with "earth scent". Not that I ever notice any smell but might not be a bad idea for bow hunting in September.

For mosquitoes, it has to work just as well as it does on the geround or in a boat. I do believe that they also make a holster to hold the unit.

I will be trying it out if and when I hunt any buggy weather this fall.

Another great help is trying out a BUG TAMER suit. They also work wonderfull.

has anyone used them while bear hunting? i was talking to my uncle up in finland MN and he said the bugs are really bad this year and i would be flown right out of my bear stand if i didnt get one. do they give off alot of scent? i got one the other day and going to try it up on rainy lake this weekend but i am worried that the bears will smell it. my bear stand if in a big hole and even if it is windy the wind doesnt blow down where i am. and i am using a bow and am about 10 yards away from my bait pile. thanks for any info.

iceman

I cannot smell any odor from the smoke from the Thermo cell but that surely doesn't mean a bear cannot. One could leave it by the bait pile for a week or so right before hunting opens so the bears get use to the smell.

I always take a sweaty t-shirt after doing my baiting and hang one by my bait so they also get use to my scent from the sweaty t-shirt. The next time in baiting, I leave a new one and take the old one out.