Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HunterLee

Decoy or not.

7 posts in this topic

We go drawn to bowhunt in montana for pronghorn. We are planning sitting on water holes. We got the 13th-19th of Aug. Would a decoy be something to sit by the blind?? The guy we are going with thinks its the ticket. I know we are well before the rut. Any other tips would be great.

I've never hunted them personally, but I've been reading up in anticipation of hunting goats in the future. I think if you're bowhunting, a deke has to be in the plans. You can take it down if you like, but it seems that its one of the best ways to get closer and ease the minds of those wary bucks.

Anyone else have any tips for them?? Getting excited as we leave in a week.

I know guys who have talked about how they used a Mel Dutton decoy to stalk goats.

I have had a few friends who hunted in bale blinds by water holes and sat most of the day waiting but scored.

I've only read about antelope, but....

Sounds like they have plenty of water this year and I've heard it takes a couple of days for them to get used to a new blind. A good suggestion is to add a string to the decoy so you can move it a little to "seal-the-deal".

But this should be close to the rut. The best articles I've read on spot-n-stalk say to get as close as you can before deploying the decoy.

We're going in mid October and with rifles.

HunterLee, the next time you are in Fargo, there is a guy at Gander that has done a lot of bowhunting for goats out in Montana.I don't remember his name, but I think he was the manager of the archery department. I had a long conversation with him about it and he really seemed to know his stuff. Might be worth a try.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Perhaps you are associating peanut butter with sweet things, like cookies or peanut butter cups.   But peanuts aren't sweet and can work in savory things as well.   Asian food seems to do that with peanuts a lot, just as an example.   African food also. 
    • Man, I can see cream cheese but peanut butter? I may have to give it a go sometime, maybe the bacon will off set the oddness?  
    • Sorry I missed that. The brown and blue wires are the Transmit TX and Receive Rx wires for connection via single cable to NMEA 0183 compatible devices. nmea 0183 is the protocol for compatible devices, computer, plotters, auto piolet, Radar, radio, etc. All of these devices including your GPS can be connected to a single cable. The brown and blue wires allows the sonar to communicate to other devices. Google nmea 0183 compatible devices for a raft of information on what this is. My brother, a charter Capitan out of Cortez FL. uses these devices on his boat for off shore fishing up to 100 miles off shore. Nice to have to talk to other Capitan's ship to shore, radar, GPS and  to get back home without running into sunken islands.  
    • Trump stumped on terrorist quiz as he can't identify the leaders of ISIS and al-Qaeda – but Carly Fiorina shows she knows her Nasrallah from her al-Julani Radio host Hugh Hewitt asked Trump and Fiorina the same questions about terrorist leaders in separate taped interviews on Thursday FIorina answered confidently and Trump seemed flummoxed, confusing 'Quds Forces' with 'Kurds forces'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3222467/Trump-stumped-terrorist-quiz-t-identify-leaders-ISIS-al-Qaeda-Carly-Fiorina-shows-knows-Nasrallah-al-
    • I ask the same thing about the other 2 candidates, especially the one that is your favorite.   What do you care? I thought he was irrelevant anyway?  
    • Oh yeah.  I keep forgetting about all that modern computer stuff in cars.   So the computer would notice the tranny didn't shift all the way down as the car stopped?     There goes that theory.    And why only after a couple hours of driving?   Some sort of overheating of the transmission fluid?  cooler plugged in the flush process?    Here is a question for Carpmaster..... Is it different in the summer vrs winter?   Like you only have to drive 50 miles in summer and 200 in winter?   You guys that actually know can feel free to ignore my suggestions if you don't want to waste time answering.  
    • leech, it does sound like an odd concocktion.  but you gotta try it.  225 for 2 hrs, helps if u use thin bacon.
    • nw wisconee private marsh
    • Sorry, I thought the model was listed on the title of my question.  Anyway, Garmin 53dv EchoMap.  This one has downview, but is chirpless.  Seems like nice unit, tough.  Just wondered about those 2 wires.  Thanks.
  • Our Sponsors