• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best all-Around tires for 1/2 ton Chevy?

I saw another recent post about tires for a tow vehicle, but I'm needing to get new tires for my /01 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton. I mostly want something that rides good and is quiet, but a little A/T type tread would be nice to have for hunting season and winter. What brand/model has worked best for you guys? Thanks.

I've tried ProComp, Firestone, Bridgestone Dueller Revos, and BDG's.

The Procomps were junk from day one, and didn't last a year.

Firestones lasted forever, but had no traction anywhere.

Revos were nice and quiet for about 6 months, rode nice for about 6 months, and lasted about a year.

BFG's best traction, last longer, ride just as smooth as any other. I just hate that everyone and their brother has them, but it is for good reason.

Ive got Uniroyal Liberators on my 00 chev 1/2 ton and really like them. They are unreal on the ice! They paid forthemseves atleast twice in the last two years ice fishing.

I had a set of Michelin LTX M/S on a Suburban and it had great road manners, long life, and handled reasonably for ice fishing and steelhead fishing. Want a more aggressive tread try the Michelin LTX AT/2. Drive on gravel a lot and want a tire that really lasts try Michelin XPS Traction. Some others to look at are the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor, BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO or Commercial T/A Traction, Toyo Open Country A/T, M-606, or M-55. Choice still depends on how you want to balance highway comfort, vehical mileage, tread life, and off-road manners.

Had Yokohama Geolandar AT+II's on the Dakota I just sold... went thru 2 sets, got about 60-some thousand miles per set. darn near couldnt get stuck with them either. not the cheapest to purchase but a guy sure gets his dollar's worth out of them. Quiet too, at least until they wore down to the low tread indicators.

Since we are on the subject of tires my son bought a 4wd dakota with quad cab. Came with unmatched 16 inch 265 tires. Wondering if he should stay with the wide tire or go down to a narrower tire? Is it preference or is there any advantages/disadvantages to the width? Vehicle will be used mostly on the highway with occasional back road stuff for hunting. Sticker on the door calls for 235 75 15's. Previous owner must have upgraded to 16 inch rims.

Well the advantage to the wider tire would be mud traction and it may look better. Disadvantage is the increased weight, rolling resistance and the resulting decrease in mileage. Snow traction will suffer with a wider tire too.