• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rod/reel/lures suggestions....

I'm not sure where to post this so will just post this in few places and see what answers I get.

I'm looking to buy rod/reel/lures for myself and my two young boys. They are age 7 and 4. Which brand do u suggest. I'm a ROOOOKIE! AND thats an understatement. grin I did get advice from a fellow fm'er last summer but thanks to my feeble brain, I couldnt remember which brand it was that he suggested! smirk

Will be fishing for bluegills, bass, etc (small fishes).....when my boys get older, will get them hooked on musky fishing. grin

Worst place to post something like that would be here grin Nobody's brave enough to advise anything when it comes to bluegills, bass, n etc etc because they're just bait!!! Only the bravest venture into the Catfish forum and the bravest over there venture here... Best place would be in the "Open Water" forum...

Yep, open water forum would be good. FYI- you'll need totally different gear for muskie fishing than you will for bluegill, bass, walleye, etc. (maybe you knew that, but I'm not sure if you did or not judging by your question). My suggestion is to get them hooked on the other fish first, then give muskie fishing a try after a few years. If you don't want to do that, you might be better off hiring a guide for you and your boys before you do anything- that way you'll see if you guys like it and won't blow $1000 getting the four of you rigged up with rods, reels, and gear only to find out you aren't in love with muskie fishing.

Good luck!

Peachy, in my opinion 7 & 4 are pretty young to be using large musky rods & throwing large musky lures. I have had kids in my boat 12 and 14 years old that could harldy get the hang of it.

I would start them out with bass fishing equipment, and let them start casting some spinner baits. Abu garcia, Diawa, shimano are all good choices for reels.

I do agree with scoot, when it comes time for the muskie fishing I'd hire a guide for a day and see if they like it.

Musky fishing is a expensive sport!

Best of luck

Brian Kaiser

www.kaisertail.com

Rebel....Well, I didnt know where else to go so played it safe to post in few places. Better to get some advice than none. Like you said, only bravest go in here so I guess I could be considered one of the bravest?? LOL grin

MuskyMan....Yes I know my kids are toooo young to handle the rods but they are fascinated with the muskies as they have been looking at the muskie photos and I'm gonna keep that fascination alive!!! wink And yes I'm interested in Musky fishing grin

Scoot....I already have a "guide". grin Just got to wait till kids are older!

p.s. they are already interested in fishing and gone fishing before. Just need our own rods/reels/lures

I will go in the Open Water forum and post there. Thanks everyone for all the feedbacks! appreciate it!

Peachy, check the crappie and sunfish forum you posted to. Some thoughts there to ponder...

Good luck with your and your kids' new obsession smile

Peachy - buy a couple good baitcast reels and catfish rods or ugly sticks and troll a lot. The reason for that rod choice is that it shouldn't set you back much $$. I don't have a ton of patience for trolling, but you'll make contact with a lot of fish and won't have to worry about tiring the boys out too much casting. I'm still trying to get a big kid (BoxMN) to be able to cast for skis for more than 1/2 hour LOL!! Even if you use large bass or pike baits baits you can expect some muskies but should still get enough aciton on some of the other predator fish. Just a thought. Also, WBL is a great trolling lake - that's where my dad and brother got me hooked when I was a kid.

Good luck and good for you keeping those boys outside!!