• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

5th wheel towing & mirrors

upnorth

Hi guys,

Just got a 5th wheel and have yet to pick it up and I am wondering if I am going to have to get some sort of a mirror extension or if that is more of a luxury than a necessity! Anyone out there tow a 5th wheel with an opinion/experience?

It depends on how long the trailer is and how well you can see behind you. If you're leaning forward in the seat to try and see more behind you, you definitly need "more mirror". Depending what truck you have, you can put on some cheap strapons or get some that slide onto exsisting mirrors.

I have the slide on ones that have a thumb screw on our 98' F150. They are not all that rigid and seem to bounce alittle. Even with the extentions, I still can't see around the back of our 27.5 ft all that good. Theres always someone that has to be to close, trailing in that blind spot. If I where pulling a boat, I probibly couldn't see it. But I won't pull out the driveway without them. Something is better then nothing.

Congrats on the purchase, You won't be sorry with the 5th wheel.

Lonnie

I have looked on line and the replacement type are a bit pricey. I did find a set of the slip on style locally so that is the route I am going to go. I am not fond of the thought of changing lanes and not seeing what is off to the side and the rear.

I would expect anything that is extended out that far and only held on with a set screw to move a bit.

I also tow a fifth wheel camper, mirro ext. are a must in my opinion. I have bought 5 different kinds of extenions and am not satisified with any set I have had. Has anyone on f.m. purchased a set they are really satisified with?

Look on hsolist. For a Chevy there are plenty on there from $50-$350. The Schefenacker (sp) are the best, but spendy. I have some cheap mirror extensions that slide over the existing mirror. They are OK at best, but they were only $40 from cabelas or camping world. I use these on my truck when pulling my enclosed trailer. For camping I went with a motorhome. Much better for towing and keeps the miles down. Just an option if you haven't bought yet. There are pro's and cons to both, but the motorhome has all the ammenities with it for boondocking.

We just sold a motorhome. Our decision was based on a few things.

1 I wanted a separate vehicle from the camper.

2 I also wanted to be able to tow a boat and still have a vehicle to take to the store if need be and not have to break camp and reset everything up.

3 And last but not least, you can get a modern fairly spacious 5ht wheel for about a 1/4 of the price of the same thing in a motor home.

I know you need truck capable of towing an 5hh wheel, but I have a truck now and just needed something a little heavier.

But all things said, to each his own. I could very well change my mind again in a few years or so.

By the way I did check out the Schefenacker mirrors and those are sweet. Probably gonna have to wait until next year. But thanks for the tip.

Oh yes, for sure. Everyone has their own needs and wants when RVing. smile Either way, it sure is fun.....if you can afford the fuel. wink

It is all about priorities. We don't go as far, and we may not go quite as often, but we still go. I ain't giving up everything I enjoy.

I use the cheap strap on mirrors when pulling the 5th wheel and boat. They shake like crazy. They allow me to keep an eye on the boat trailer wheels and that's about it. I don't usually use them when just pulling the camper.

Have fun with the camper, you'll enjoy being able to bring your boat and your camper with you. From a gas milleage stand-point, I see no difference when pulling the camper and boat, or just camper. Either way, it's EXPENSIVE cry but fun!

Here's a pic of the rig with the boat if you're interested.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...hat#Post1157755

I picked up the ones that slide on and then screw down and they work pretty well. They don't bounce or shake....so I am pretty happy with them.

That is quite unit you are towing there. How is it in town? I would guess cornering is a huge pain.