• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Speaker wiring Question

I was wondering if one wires a speaker backwards(swiching +-,-+) will it make a difference in sound quality? Knowing what I know about magnets, wiring one way the electromagnets attract the other magnet and the other they repel, but it seems that the speaker work anyways. I had to do some custom work on my 97 Grand prix to get some pioneers to wire to the factory plug. I just unsoldered the factory plugs from the factory speakers and soldered them to the new speakers. Seem to work fine and sound pretty good. Seems that other stuff I do it doesn't affect sound quality, does it damage the speaker any? Also does it affect tweeters, mids, and subs the same way, I would assume so but I know what happens then..

As a rule, I always go positive to positive, negative to negative. I think on some high end equipment, it can and does have an effect on the sound quality. On low end (Spark-O-matic stuff), it never really mattered.

I ran stuff back in the day, that I had no clue what side was connected to what. I heard my tunes. When I started getting into amps and sub box’s, I stuck to the plan.

Sorry didn't know that was a no no just tellin' the truth about the word. It won't happen again. I'd rather ask a question and not blow up my new stereo, than not ask and ruin some $200 electronics. I have no amp hooked up tho the factory speakers but my amp and subs will be going in next. I guess on the speakers that I put in their was noting marked so I did it, and hoped for the best. Did learn with the cutlass to disconnect the battery before any major electrical projects. laugh

...I was wondering if one wires a speaker backwards(swiching +-,-+) will it make a difference in sound quality?...

Short answer is yes.

Low quality speakers with low power running to them you may not notice the difference. Hook up a 15" sub with a few hundreds watts running through it and you'll know.

If polarity is hooked up correctly, when the music "thumps" you should be able to see the speaker push out away from the magnet just a little. If polarity is reversed it will pull the speaker towards the magnet.

The big thing is if one speaker is wired one way than the other, then the sound waves will be 180 degrees out of phase. It may or may not sound bad. By moving around you can get this same effect. That is why rooms have sweet spots. You probably won't hurt anything, just affect sound quality.

The wires were the leads directly leading to the electro magnet on the speaker, the bare copper. But now that you brought up the movement of the speaker I'll have to check it out. This wasn't a sub or anything, it was the front, door panel speakers in a grand prix.

If it was my amp, I would be very careful of reversing polarity, event though I have 20 bucks into the amp and subs. (gotta love rummage sales)

New question, I noticed when I was tearing stuff apart that the FBI rewired the antenna for a CB and left the AM-FM cord just a swingin' I have decent reception but is their a stock looking antenna that has both CB and AM-FM hookups? Or should I leave well enough alone.