• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm shopping for a new bow

I never thought I would whine so much about shopping for a new bow, but it's not as fun as I thought it would be.

I shoot 29.5" DL and currently handle 65-68lbs. Now that I've had a used bow for a few years I got the okay to buy something new.

Of the ones I've shot my selections are the Xforce 6, Katera, Guardian and maybe a DXT.....

I don't know if its because of a lack of inventory or they are hot sellers, but I've had a really hard time finding bowtechs. I would really like to find an Allegiance.

I like the Xforce except its got a buzz vibe on the shot, but little recoil. I don't mind the draw. Its smooth for me. You pull the same weight, but for a longer pull. With this bow I can pull a lower weight and still out-perform a different bow with softer cams and a higher weight.

Guardian is soft and smooth with a heavy spot right in the last 1-2" of pull. No vibe on the shot, but its got a jump in the recoil. I almost lost it at the range. Very nice bow out of the box.

Katera is very nice too. Its heavier. It pulls nice, similar draw to the Xforce. Lots of factory silencing gear so its hard to compare vibe. Some recoil here too. I tested one that had a sight on it and I made a 1" group in my first 10 shots. 6" brace height doesn't bother me.

DXT is a similar bow to the rest, but I don't like that its 4" shorter than the others. A little tougher to shoot with a 29.5" DL.

So, thats where I'm at. I'd like to shoot an Allegiance if I find one, and maybe slap some accessories on an Xforce to see how it settles. I'm not a speed freak, but for the same price, I wouldn't complain if I had it.

Its funny how hard it is to compare bows when the one I have in my case is 8yrs old, the old one was from '86 and I've got a recurve thats I don't know how old.

I'm in the same boat I have been looking at all the new bows for a few months and cant find one I really like, but I shot a friends new Marquis by Diamond and I really liked it. Its smooth, fast, quiet, and feels right because its good size. It is 34 1/2 axle to axle and to me feels bigger to me. The only thing I dont like it looks a little odd, but I heard the same about me.

JT archery in Harris, Right off 35, has Botech, I will up their tomorrow to pick my new General, If you liked the guardian you need to shoot the general (same setup as guardian just their 08 model and a little shorter)it is 31" ata, I shoot 30" DL and is a smooth shootin bow.

Powerstroke,

I'm strictly a Hoyt guy, but to each is own... I shot a Trykon last year loved it and owned it , shooting a Katera now,,, but still in luv with the ex-trykon,,,,lol

cam and 1/2 vs z3 cam much smoother. z3

Anyway GOOD LUCK cause I would buy a matthews also but like formentioned Hoyt is #1 But there are a lot of good bows out now... HARD HARD choice... mine is easy lolo

just a lil 2 cents

For me choosing a new bow had to do with the draw cycle and how well I could draw it in a tough situation when a deer is close and you have to be stealthy. I decided I liked the draw cycle of the single cam bows and since my draw length is over 30 inches my choices were limited but speed wasn't a concern.

I shot a 82nd and an X force a couple weeks ago to see what the speed deal was all about but I didn't like the feel. Maybe I would get used to that hump at the end but I don't feel the need to try.

There are plenty of single cam bows that are not short like the DXT. I ended up with a 37 inch ATA bow that draws smooth, is quiet, shoots well, and gets 275 FPS with a 426 grain arrow at 70 lbs. I backed it down a turn and the POI is only an inch lower at 40 yards and it draws even smoother.

I have heard many good things about the Alligence but Bowtech is pushing their newer models these days.

Take your time. You have about 75 days until archery opener.

all the major brands make a very good bow. I feel the most important thing is how it feels in your hand and full draw. Its all about the grip. ITs like a glove.

Get the one that feels best and has a comfortable draw to you.

(I too am a huge Hoyt fan.)

if your into a little drive stop at oak ridge archery in Kasota MN he sells bowtech Diamond and Hoyt with a 60 yard indoor range and 100 yard outdoor range a a 3-d course.you won't find a beter bow mechanic around. he has an allegiance on hand plus the general and a guardian. i currently shoot an 82nd just fell in love with the way it shoots and feels. but i also have a 07 guardian and a 07 commander. all great bows. the katera is a nice shooter too. you couldn't go wrond with a marquee either. have fun shooting them all.

Thanks for the help everyone. I've had a hard time trying to narrow down the different bows. I'm gonna bring a buddy with me this weekend. He's responsible for my addiction to archery so I figure he should help me find my first new bow. Kinda like bringing your mechanic to help buy a car.

I know a lot of it is about personal feel, but I figure if I can't make up my mind yet then maybe a little outside opinion will help.

My last three bows have been Mathews switchback xt, then a Bowtech guardian, and now I have a Mathews S2. All three I would highly recommend. Have been hearing A LOT of horror stories about the Bowtech 82nd blowing up on people.

If you almost lost the guardian after the shot it must not have been tuned properly. You shouldn't even need a sling when shooting that bow. Should be able to let it rest on thumb and forefinger and shoot and not even have it move a quarter of an inch forward.