• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Charging deep cycle batteries. 10 or 2 amp?

Gus

Question

I have a battery charger with a switch for deep cycle batteries. It is an automatic type charger so it will click itself off when done. My question is what is the best amp rate to charge a deep cycle at, 10 or 2 amp?

I usually have the time to let the 2 amp do a full cycle so time is not really important.

3 answers to this question

Gonna be different views on this question. My take is as soon as a battery is below full charge it starts to degrade. As soon as you can you should charge it as fast as you can and i reommend the 10 amp charge then maintain with a 2 amp charge.

Your charger is made specifically for the deep cycle battery. Use the 10 amp setting. Even though it says 10 amp it'll taper down to nothing then shut off. If you want the battery to last as long as it should. Keep the levels up. Charge it after every use.

Store it in a cool place.

I recently did some reading at Exide's HSOforum on this subject and their latest recommendation is a slow 2A charge. The reason being that when the battery is first connected and has a low charge it will draw higher current. With the charger set at the 10A setting, it will deliver the 10A if the battery asks for it. Unfortunately, this can cause excessive heat buildup and evaporation. Whether you use the lower amp setting or not it is important to keep an eye on the electrolyte level of your batteries but more so if you use the 10A setting.

Bob