• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

newby carp question

I was looking on the dnr lake finders for lakes with carp... do they not list carp on the fish netting reports because they are elusive and never net them, or do they not count to the dnr as real fish?

Are carp in most minnesota lakes?

If i go up to the finlayson area, do you think there are carp up there?

I'm new to carp, please understand.

Most lakes with rivers that run through them have carp. The further north you go, I think the likelihood of carp being in the lakes decreases. If you're in the Finlayson area, I would think the Kettle River or St. Croix would be decent bets for carp. Maybe someone from that area can weigh in on good bets.

Dont even bother with carps. i know dozens of spots in finlayson that u can catch them big water geese. Try reeds island river nearest the golf course or hobo creek west of finland. I caught two over 70lbs over there last month. they jusy pound bare jig heads and red eye wigglers. some ate monster perch baits and beliavers but dont underestimate the giant decoy suckers.

yes i was obiviously joking. Seriously though u can catch carp just about anywhere and its fun and cheap. alls u need nis some sinkers and crawlers or jigheads for snagging on the mn backwaters. corn, oatmeal and the almighty crawlwrs willk work just fine.

You say obviously...but you would be suprised what some people say and BELIEVE!

I have had my best luck using crawlers in rivers, and good luck with corn in lakes. I'm not a big Carp guy, but they are fun to catch from time to time.

As for finding them, when possible I usually sight fish them. Cruise through the shallows and watch for them. When you find them, ease back aways and cast out near the area...then wait. It has worked for me.