• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just got back from a trip to Algoma, and the fishing was bad. We fished morning and evenings of four days and only got 1-2 fish an outing, with two outings without a release. Green and silver Pro-King was the only bait that even got a repeat hit, with the rest of the fish coming on a mix of different spoons and flasher/fly combos. Many different depths, with most fish 50-85 down in 90-100FOW.

The guy i went with could not believe how bad the fishing was, and he's been doing this for 30 years. Time and time again on boats and from guys around the campgrounds, that this is the worst they've ever seen it.

Water was 69-71, top to bottom, everywhere.

Kind of dissapointing, i finally decide to get over there and experience some of the great fishing i'm always hearing about, and never really got the chance.

I take that back, stocking may play a role, some charter cap. was talking about it saying he saw this coming, blah blah blah, and next few years the fish that will be caught will average bigger sizes because the fish that had been stocked were of a smaller size... I dunno, someones theory anyway.. Its just wierd to have a record harvest 07 and a horrible 08

Yep, the southern ports are doing well. I have to believe that the bite is going to go through the roof in the next month. I have a friend that has fished the area for thirty years or better and has logs and he has said that the last time it was like this was also a La Nina year and that the fish were going steady from the end of August through the middle of September. I hope to test this theory in the next couple weeks!

Tunrevir~

I think this is all about weather this year vs last year.

last year was a steady warming trend early and the fish will always follow the food no matter what.

This years spring was long, cold and wet. If you watch the surface temps like I do on the satellite info you could almost see that this year was very different and behind last year by about 3 weeks in the warming of the main lake.

Maybe I'll be lucky enough to make another run out there.

Any report lately ?

I will be there tomorrow trough monday, if anybody sees REEL CRANKY, a 21ft burgundy/gray Lund cuddy cabin with a FM sticker on the side, stop by or "honk". I will be at Capt K.

Otherwise I'll let you know how it goes next week.

Just got back on Tues. from there fishing with kinn. We killed three on the afternoon trip and 10 on the a.m. trip. Biggest one was 18lbs. caught by a 15 yr old on his first trip out there so that made the trip good.

Mylineswet,

Did you make it to the pizza bowl?

I was out there about 3 weeks ago and it was pretty slow then.

Sounds like not much has changed. Afternoon we caught a hand, and the morning wasn't much better with 13. Our biggest was 14 lbs. Sounds like its been tough fishing all over.

What boat were you guys on?

We were on the Obsession IV. Great boat, Great Captain!

Floyd knows his stuff.

whats new over there? im goin labor day weekend, usually go mid july, but its been so slow.. my dads been over there all summer and hasnt had much happening, any advice or tips?? We are out of the fishermans refuge

Back from my weekend and we loved it as usual.

Some people stated fishing was not at it's best especially since many people compared it to last year which was unique and phenomenal. I thought it was ok, we managed to get approx 11 fish of good size (between 13lbs and 17lbs)

Everything on shallower dept, between 100ft to 130ft. Morning sometimes a little shallower. My personal favorite is aqua fly with a Coyote flasher, but we had one on a Monkey puke spoon and one on a Jplug.

Seas were good except for monday morning, but the ever changing wind directions makes fishing more challenging.

We loved it so much we left the rig there and we'll be back next weekend. Pizza Bowl was fun, I played with my children and we managed to get the lowest scores of the alley grin